Pick a camera for me!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2
I didn't want to threadjack the other post, so here's my version of the camera decision thread.

I want:

- Longish zoom range
- Relatively compact size (think baggy pants)
- Decent movie mode
- Image stabilization
- Wide angle lens

I'll be shooting:

- Outdoorsy stuff
- The occasional "artsy" shot (when I get the whim to play with a few settings, macro mode etc)
- Snaps while out and about with friends

I'm "upgrading" from:
- Sony Ericsson K750i ;) (So my standards are fairly low).

I've narrowed it down to:

Panasonic Lumix TZ-3 (approx. $299.00):
This one has the longest zoom (10x), no manual shooting mode and fairly decent image quality. Dark indoor shots are so-so but good enough for me IMO.

Panasonic Lumix LX-2 (approx. $348.00):
Manual & RAW shooting modes (might be fun to play with and will avoid upgradeitis the longest), good enough image quality (comparable with the TZ-3) and an ok zoom range (4x). A bit on the old side. (released 2006). The bulkiest of the bunch. According to some review the automatic settings are a bit hit & miss.

Ricoh Caplio R7 (approx. $369.00):
One of the latest modes: Offers face detection, a 6x zoom, no manual shooting but a time-lapse mode (could be fun!). Predecessors weren't as mechanically reliable as the Panasonics above.

Canon PowerShot SD 870 IS / Digital IXUS 860 IS (approx. $370.00):
Ah Canon - old, reliable and boring ;) Fairly new, image detection, okay zoom (3,6x), no manual shooting modes.

Here are the specs to compare the 4:
http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/com...asonic_dmclx2&camuser=ricoh_caplior7&show=all
I like the manual mode offered on the LX-2, but aren't really sure how much additional flexibility I'll really need as a lot of the time I'll be doing casual shooting rather than "real photography".

So now you guys get to choose: Pick one of the 4 above or suggest an alternative :)

Btw: I'll be asking a colleague to pick up one of these at our office in the US (gotta love that dollar!), so recommendations for affordable, reliable online stores that will ship to California are also welcome.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" 2014 MacBook Pro, i7 2.5Ghz, 16GB RAM, 512GB SSD; iPad 3, iPhone 6
The Z3 out of those offers the best bang/buck IMO, but you might want to consider something from Fuji. You could grab an S9000 from Amazon for a sniff under $400, which is a lot better than anything in your list, I use this camera - check out my link in the sig for some sample shots - Utah and Upstate NY especially. Some other slides have a mix of this camera and an S5600 from a few years ago.

What I like about it, is you can add filters to the lens. Road to Moab for instance has a polariser lens on it - no PS at all.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15in MBP 2.5GHz Core2Duo | 1.83Ghz Dual G5 PowerMac | 2.0 GHz Dual G5 PowerMac
You should look into either of the Canon G-series or the SX100 IS. I have the Canon Powershot G6, and it's a beautiful camera. It only has 4x zoom, but i bought accessory lenses for it, it widened it, and increased the zoom more, between 2 lenses respectively. Now i have an EOS 30D, but that is big leap from compacts, and it is much more expensive too, but the results are phenomenal.

OP
Aptmunich
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks for the quick replies guys!

I've looked at some models similar to the ones you both mention - but I know I'd miss being able to stick the camera in a pocket (even if it is a largish pocket) and take snaps when I'm around town with friends, so the traditional form-factor Superzooms are out I'm afraid...

The Powershot G9 looks quite interesting, but I think it's a bit too bulky as well.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Quad 2.8GHz Mac Pro, Edge iPhone
Yea, a Canon G series camera, although amazing, is too thick for something you carry around in your pocket.
Personally, I need something that lets me have some manual settings. I wouldn't purchase a camera with only program. The second camera sounds good but if it's a year and a half old and its almost too large for your needs too.

OP
Aptmunich
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Yea, a Canon G series camera, although amazing, is too thick for something you carry around in your pocket.
Personally, I need something that lets me have some manual settings. I wouldn't purchase a camera with only program. The second camera sounds good but if it's a year and a half old and its almost too large for your needs too.
Yeah - it's really frustrating....

Maybe I need to wait for Panasonic to release an update to their current batch of consumer cameras. (Probably around March/April)

EDIT: Added new option to the poll :)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.