NEWBI needs a set up-photography website

Reaction score
Good morning everyone, this is my first post!!

Just to give you a little background about me, I’m a college student and i think i can call myself a serious amateur photographer....I am looking for a set up that will be portable and allow me to create a website (with my own domain name) that will let me display and possibly sell my photography.

I have been looking at the macbooks and am pretty set on the white 2.16GHz with maybe upgraded ram and hard drive....

What i dont know is what kind of software to get...(I havent used a mac since late 80's early 90's when they were that all in one box) I have been reading up on i web/.mac set up and i like the ease of use...but i dont understand what it means that in order to use your own domain name you have to "transfer stewardship" of your domain name to apple.....(NOT SURE IF I LIKE THE SOUND OF THAT)

I need a combination of software that will allow me to create and post a website gallery of my photos, and possibly sell a few on the way....

ANy suggestions for the right tools would help me a lot!!

Thanks,
Stephanie

PS. Im waiting to buy macbook until leopard is released...so hopefully in the next few weeks

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac pro quad 2.66 / G5 1.8
I don't know what it means either - you'd have to give some control to whichever service provider was hosting your domain, but it doesn't need to be Apple.

If you already have the domain, you can use it with any Internet service provider (ISP). The only problem is that some companies that register domains for you (normally the cheap ones), will charge you to transfer it.

But it's your choice. You find the ISP you want to use, get the domain transfered to them, and they'll give you the details of how to access it and put a website up.

It's then up to you - you neeed to create your site - either yourself or have it done for you, and upload it.

OP
S
Reaction score
thanks for the imput...i guess i should clarify a little more....

The reason i am getting the computer is to organize, edit, and share(sell) my photography..( I will be creating the website myself, i dont have any experience in this )

i have already decided to upgrade photoshop cs3 (i have 7 on my pc now)....so now i dont know wheather to use dreamweaver...($$$ :Grimmace: ) or stick with the iweb ...

If iweb is the better choice for me then .mac may be the easiest solution...

If dreamweaver is a better choice than i might as well go with a different host besides .mac because what im hearing is that .mac doesnt like personal domain names...

Again i dont have any experience with this stuff, but really am trying to learn and buy the best combination of hardware/software to get the job done

Any opinions or just telling me what your setup is would be really helpful!

Thanks,

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" 2014 MacBook Pro, i7 2.5Ghz, 16GB RAM, 512GB SSD; iPad 3, iPhone 6
Everything you need will be on your Mac when you buy it.

iWeb and iPhoto 8 allow you to publish to any domain - if you fancy doing it manually (which I do) use Fetch.

You will be doing something far better than this, but something like http://www.zoolook.us can be done in about 10 mins flat on iLife 07, so '08 should be better/quicker.

OP
S
Reaction score
Zoolook,

Thanks for the response...thats exactly what i was looking for...your site looks great by the way... simple/clean/gets the job done

Any suggestions as who to use to buy my domain name from or to host my site? (godaddy, .mac)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" 2014 MacBook Pro, i7 2.5Ghz, 16GB RAM, 512GB SSD; iPad 3, iPhone 6
Zoolook,

Thanks for the response...thats exactly what i was looking for...your site looks great by the way... simple/clean/gets the job done

Any suggestions as who to use to buy my domain name from or to host my site? (godaddy, .mac)

Oh shop around, for sure. Lots lure you in with promises of cheap domain names etc, but you really should read the fine print.

I used itsyourdomain.com and IXWebhosting.com - I have no issues with them so far, but there is a lot of choice out there.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac pro quad 2.66 / G5 1.8
Oh shop around, for sure. Lots lure you in with promises of cheap domain names etc, but you really should read the fine print.

I used itsyourdomain.com and IXWebhosting.com - I have no issues with them so far, but there is a lot of choice out there.

Yes - the fine print is important, as 'ownership' of domains can be nebulous at best.

There are basically three ways it's done (more or less);

1. You register a domain via an ISP, and they retain ownership. This is the worst scenario, as they could in theory take control of your domain at any time. You have no right over it. Bad idea, normally very cheap, or even free.

2. You register a cheap domain, the ISP/registrar will have a small clause that says if you move it, you have to pay a release fee. You still ultimately have the right to do what you want with the domain, but it could be expensive.

3. You register the domain in your own name - it is yours, you can move it about whenever you feel like it. Almost certainly the most expensive choice, but unless you're on a severely restricited budget, do this. I'd say you should take this option ABOVE trading up photoshop - imagine if you turn your domain into a nice big business, and some sleezebag takes your domain?

Ref the design part - I'd suggest get something cheap / free to experiment with. Dreamweaver is (IMHO) a very good package, but if you try and start off with that, with no knowledge at all, it may just be too complex. It takes some getting used to :D

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Our newest moderator has a great site for exactly what you're wanting to do.
You could check that out also.
macheadcase's site
And just click on SmugMug at the top of her page for the home site of this provider.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 MBP, i7, 16GB RAM, MBP 2.16Ghz Core Duo, 2GB ram, Dual 867Mhz MDD, 1.75GB ram, ATI 9800 Pro vid
sinderss, you might be better off to looking into sites that can sell your photos for you. Those sites let you have some kind of individual presence, but allow for people to search all photos. They take care of the selling too.

I'm sure you can find blogs or reviews on line that can help you decide if that is a good fit for you.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.