Water accident on my MBP

Reaction score
I was doing some video editing when my buddy beside me knocked over his glass of water onto the left side of my MBP. I start panicking so I turn it off right away, take out the battery, then let it drip for a while. After drying it with a hair dryer for a few hours and leaving it a few days, I turn it back on.

It works fine except that now, my airport card isn't detected and my 2 usb ports on the left side don't work. Also, it doesn't detect any audio output so I can't listen to any audio at all( the other two I could probably live with for a bit but as an editor, the audio missing just kills me).

At the moment, I think I'm going to have to replace the Airport extreme card as well as the Left I/O board. Now the thing I'm worried about is, I'm not actually sure what has shorted out. If my right side of my MBP is still working without any problems (firewire works as well as the Usb port) then does that mean the Logic Board is working fine? Is the Board totally separate from the Orange Ribbon cable that connects the Left I/O from the Logic Board so could the actually problem be just the ribbon cable? Or is it really just the Airport and Left boards that is shorted out and that I should replace?

I'm looking at Ifixit.com and they have those two parts (Airport Card and Left I/OP board) for $250 for both so that doesn't seem like too bad a deal compared to buying a new one (about $3k). However, I'm not too sure if it's actually those two parts that I should be getting since I'm not sure of the exact problem. Any suggestions or opinions?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Quad 2.8GHz Mac Pro, Edge iPhone
oh you poor soul.

I trust you have killed your 'friend'

Agreed.
I realize the MBP is out of warranty. Try taking it to the Apple store and have the. Tech go through it. Maybe he can diagnose it and give you an idea of what actually needs replacing. When it comes back, just say you don't want it fixed and repair it yourself.

OP
C
Reaction score
Agreed.
I realize the MBP is out of warranty. Try taking it to the Apple store and have the. Tech go through it. Maybe he can diagnose it and give you an idea of what actually needs replacing. When it comes back, just say you don't want it fixed and repair it yourself.

I wish I could do that but I'm from Vancouver Canada so there isn't any Apple stores here. If I go to an authorized reseller, does that mean they have the proper training to be able to diagnose the problem?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro
I wouldn't let a reseller touch my MBP.

OP
C
Reaction score
I wouldn't let a reseller touch my MBP.

Any suggestions on how I can get this diagnosed? The nearest Apple store is on the other side of the Country (Toronto) or in a different country (USA) altogether. I also don't think I can ship it out since I really need this working ASAP due to projects I'm currently working on.

Any way of telling how a short circuited board looks like? Like,how do Apple guys figure out what is wrong with the Hardware?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.