Safari Sux :(

Reaction score
Well safari locks up a lottt!! any better alternatives? If so, how do you make it default broswer (like the windows setting "always open using this program"

PeaCe

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.16GHz C2D MacBook w/ 2GB RAM & 120GB HD. HTC Droid Incredible.
For browser alternatives search the board. I think we even have a sticky thread.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13 inch Macbook Pro Retina, 2.7ghz, 128gb SSD
try safri 3 beta or camino... camino is made by mozilla, but its just for mac

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac Duo White
Many people also like Firefox.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
While I personally don't care for Safari - am a pretty rabid Opera user myself - I have never had Safari "lock up" on my system.

If it is locking up, there may be some other issue involved here that should be resolved - like emptying the cache maybe or noting when it locks up - like only on certain web sites (there are some out there that will only work with IE).

To make another browser your default - go into Safari preferences - the General tab and right there at the top, you can set your default browser.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Al iMac 20" 2.4Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo
It shouldn't lock up at all.

Give us some details to determine why your version should be having problems.

Personally, I think Safari is the best browser for OS X.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" 2014 MacBook Pro, i7 2.5Ghz, 16GB RAM, 512GB SSD; iPad 3, iPhone 6
Safari is pretty solid, the only time it locks up on me is if I close a YouTube page on a tab, after the machine has been asleep. Happens almost every time.

Anyway, as for alternatives, try Camino or Firefox (I prefer Camino now, but am a recent convert). Also, Opera is pretty good on the Mac.

To set the default browser, go to Safari, open Preferences and on the 1st pane it will have a default browser option there. Alternatively, install another browser, lauch it and it will ask you if you want to set that as the default. Just say yes.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook CoreDuo
so what makes other browsers better than Safari? Personally, I don't like the lack of RSS feeds on Firefox and Camino

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 5.1 | iMac 7.1 | iMac 12.1 | iMac 19.1 | iPhone 11 Pro | Watch s5
so what makes other browsers better than Safari? Personally, I don't like the lack of RSS feeds on Firefox and Camino

Huh? Whu?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" 2014 MacBook Pro, i7 2.5Ghz, 16GB RAM, 512GB SSD; iPad 3, iPhone 6

You're kidding right? FF and Camino handle RSS feeds, and did so way before Safari, and IMO, significantly better than Safari.

I think Safari is a decent browser. I only really have 3 things against it, compared to Firefox.

- I don't like the way it handles tabs. In FF (and Camino) the options for opening new links in tabs, from emails or other web pages, seems more flexible. This just might be down to me getting used to a particular system, but Safari lacks options here for me

- I have issues with Safari's pop-up blocking feature. You simply cannot have a pop-up blocker that does not have an easily manageable exception list. Both FF and Camino have this, and have had it since version 0.1 or so. It's incredible that Apple have not included it, even in version 3

- Ad blocking. Completely absent on Safari, and the useless InputManager crashing Safariblock is impossible to keep up to date (Adblock for FF already has lists and is easy to add to) and Pithhelmet requires an engineering degree to get to work. Even Camino's 'hidden' adblock software works way better than Safariblock.

Other than that, its a good browser. If you don't like Firefox's lauch speed, try camino - it does 2 bounces, compared to Safari's one bounce and Firefox's 5 bounces (on my system). ;D

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" Macbook Pro 2.26Ghz Unibody 4G RAM 160G HDD Superdrive
My only problem with Safari is that it tends to use a bit of the CPU(s) at certain times (usually YouTube) and occasionally when I want to quit it to free up the resources it took, it'll beach ball and take a long time to quit, if it is going to in the first place (force quit time.)

Other than that it's been pretty solid.

Reaction score
Though IE7 is better than IE6 ,i use safari on windows vista!beacause i like it !Two weeks ago, i bought a dell pc.In china mac is experience for the average families.i'm a colleage student major in computer science,too many tools are used on windows .So i chose the pc at last.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook CoreDuo
I'll try Camino again, I think the RSS feed I was testing it with isn't working (iphonealley.com)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac Duo White
I have been a long time user of Safari, although lately, I have been using FireFox, and admit it is a great browser. Use it on my Linux laptop as well.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook CoreDuo
so Camino is wonderful and has built in RSS support huh? Then how come everytime I click the feed button is says "feed it not a registered protocol"

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17" Macbook Pro 2GB Ram 160GB hdd Anti-glare / hi-res screen 7200RPM hdd
Camino is cool, but in my opinion the icons look cheesy. I've been using Firefox for about four years, so I don't really mind that it doesn't "blend in" with OSX.

The other thing about Camino is it doesn't have any of the awesome add-ons that are available for Firefox...

Just me two cents! :]

Reaction score
I'm new to the Mac world. I tried Safari but it just doesn't appeal to me that much. I downloaded Opera and I couldn't be happier.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.