Finder Can't Find Anything

Reaction score
I'm using OS 10.3 and absolutely cannot get the find feature to find a document --- even when I input the exact name of the document. Never had a problem under the old Sherlock system but now am completely stymied. I indexed the zip disk, I selected zip disk to find on, I entered the exact name of a document I wanted.......but on multiple tries I was told there were zero results -- whether it's a file on the hard drive or if it's on an external drive.
Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks - dmpr

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro, 8GB o' RAM, 4.5 TB o' disc space, OS Ecks 10.6.7, etc
I can't remember how to do it, but there is a way to make the OS rebuild its search database. It takes awhile to rebuild, but it works. I did it, but after it was done I quickly deleted the method from my brain. I figured I was the only one having the problem.

M

MacHeadCase

Welcome to Mac-Forrums, dmpr.

First, launch Apple's Disk Utility (you'll find it here: Macintosh HD -> Applications -> Utilities). Select your internal hard drive in the left sidebar and click on Repair Disk Permissions. Panther needed to get the disk permissions fixed once in a while, contrary to Tiger.

Once that is done, I know there is a way to make sure that OS X PAnther indexes your volume but for the life of me I just can't remember where. It could very well be in the Disk Utility window somewhere, first look for it there. I think that in OS X Tiger (10.4.x) indexing the hd is on by default (otherwise Spotlight wouldn't work) but I think that in Panther, the user had to put it on: some didn't because they claimed it slowed down their Macs.

If there isn't a way to turn indexing on in Disk Utility, look in the System Preferences, maybe.

Perhaps another member knows exactly where you need to look. :)

OP
D
Reaction score
Spawn Dooley ----- you're my new bff. Thanks so much for that tip about EasyFind. I installed it and was immediately able to find files. I greatly appreciate your response. Were I a person who used emoticons there would be a big smiley one here.
dmpr

Reaction score
Spawn Dooley ----- you're my new bff. Thanks so much for that tip about EasyFind. I installed it and was immediately able to find files. I greatly appreciate your response. Were I a person who used emoticons there would be a big smiley one here.
dmpr

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.