"are you sure you want to close this tab?"

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook(W) 2GHz, 80GB HD, 1G RAM, Windows XP
this is about the only thing i don't like about safari 3, and yet cannot find a setting to turn it off. when ever you enter text on a page (eg. replying to a post) when you close the tab, you get a little message verifying that you want to close the tab. it has an almost vista feel too it... a vista feel i do not like. does anyone know how to get rid of this?

Picture 1.png

Reaction score
this is about the only thing i don't like about safari 3, and yet cannot find a setting to turn it off. when ever you enter text on a page (eg. replying to a post) when you close the tab, you get a little message verifying that you want to close the tab. it has an almost vista feel too it... a vista feel i do not like. does anyone know how to get rid of this?

If you are typing in a form and attempt to close the window, you will be warned.

I haven't properly looked into this myself, but I too would like to disable this *feature* ...

OP
ki99
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook(W) 2GHz, 80GB HD, 1G RAM, Windows XP
Reaction score
I have a feeling the answer lies in the Terminal ... I don't comfortably know my way around Terminal but the hard part may be finding the correct path to edit and then the easy part may just be changing the 1 to 0 at the end of the path ...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G
You're right. Type this in the Terminal to make that annoying box go away:

/usr/bin/defaults write com.apple.Safari DebugConfirmTossingUnsubmittedFormText -boolean No

Reaction score
You know Kash, I checked that info earlier when I was trying to sort out how to get rid of the annoying warning message but didn't know that the warning related to unsubmitted forms nor do I know enough about Terminal to recognise that I was looking the solution right in the face ... that's why I was only confident enough to hint that Terminal was the answer ...

10.4: Disable Safari 3 warnings about unsubmitted forms

Can you verify that this will do the trick?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I personally don't have Safari 3, but others have reported that the string I posted does in fact disable the "are you sure" feature. If I had Safari 3 I would have tested it out for you.

Reaction score
Well, I just entered the code into Terminal and will submit this post then try to close the window and see what happens ...

<EDIT>

... OK, so far so good ... it seems that it works ... ;)

Besides this annoying dialogue that is now officially pwnd, I like some of the new features like if I have links on the Bookmarks Toolbar, I can navigate to them from the keyboard by pressing Command + 1 through to 9 (doesn't work for folders on the Bookmarks Toolbar).

I also like the way you can drag the 1st Tab off the Browser window onto your Desktop and it opens in it's own browser window ... this is useful for me. If you have a few Tabs open as their own window and you want to consolidate them just go to Window ~> Merge All Windows.

You can also drag Tabs from one open window to the next or rearrange them around in one Browser Window without the need to use a modifier key ...

~

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Glad to hear that it worked for you :D

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.