Rebuilding the Desktop in 10.4.9

A

auri83

Hello,

I'm not sure if this is the right category for this question but I'm going to try...

In OS 10.3.9 on a G5 I was able to complete the following process:

-Enter "rm -r /TheVolumeSettingsFolder/HFSExtentTables/*" into the Terminal (hit enter).

-Go to System Prefs, Classic, Advanced, and Rebuild the Desktop.

-Reboot computer.

Can anyone tell me how to achieve the same result on 10.4.9 where there is no Classic option in the Prefs? Would rebooting the computer while holding Command + Option + P + R to clear the PRAM do the trick? I'm kind of clueless :|

Thanks!!!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone Xs Max. Apple TV 4K
If you are running an Intel Mac you can't. Since Classic will not run on an Intel machine, and never will, you don't need to rebuild it's desktop.

Doing what you were doing was only rebuilding the OS9 desktop, not the OSX desktop.

Reaction score
auri83, rebuilding desktops aside ... what exactly is it that's bothering you about your Mac?

OP
A

auri83

well...my Mac isn't causing any problems...im a student and I'm using plugins on a multimedia project...the plugins are just demos and I use that process to reset the timer back on the demos...I want to update my operating system to 10.4.9 but I need to make sure I can still refresh the plugins so I can finish my work (unfortunately I can't afford to buy them...they're really outdated anyway though)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.