My external hard drive is messed up...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I'm thinking different... iMac, Macbook, iPod Touch, 10.5 - Leopard
I have my iTunes music folder on an external 500 GB harddrive. Well, my daughter dropped it and now it's freaking out. And it is showing "0" items (as in picture). But it still shows that all my music is still there in the info screen (it's still half full).

Can my music and movies be saved?

n12tuf.png

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 MBP, i7, 16GB RAM, MBP 2.16Ghz Core Duo, 2GB ram, Dual 867Mhz MDD, 1.75GB ram, ATI 9800 Pro vid
Unmount it. Shut it down and turn it off. Shut down the iMac too. Restart both and check the Trash by double clicking on the trash can. If your files are in there, then drag them back to the drive.

If the status is the same, try Disk Utility in the Utilities folder. First use the Verify Disk option by clicking on the drive or drive name. If it comes back with errors, then you might as well try to Repair Disk. There are fancier tools for this, but a name escapes me right now.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP 2.0 GHz, Core Duo, 2 GB Ram
Disc warrior is well worth the money if it comes to it. Saved one of my externals that way.

Brian

OP
JeffreyLloyd
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I'm thinking different... iMac, Macbook, iPod Touch, 10.5 - Leopard
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PowerBook G4 15" 1GHz 768MB 60GB
Others have posted great suggestions. Is the drive making odd sounds? Like very loud clicking noises? If so, then the drop likely caused physical damage - get your data off and do it quickly.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.