How do I get my Mac to run faster?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
How do I get my iMac to run faster?
Hey I have the latest iMac: intel core 2 duo generation 2.
It is amazing, but I have noticed that the time to load the dashboard, time to load up the computer at startup, and time to load up after awakening it from sleep has gotten considerably slower. I researched this, and found something about deleting cache's.
Please tell me how to make my iMac faster, and not loading up so slow.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 5.1 | iMac 7.1 | iMac 12.1 | iMac 19.1 | iPhone 11 Pro | Watch s5
What helped most for me was rebotting once a day. Something about the startup process...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Al iMac 20" 2.4Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo
1.) Download Onyx and clear caches etc.

2.) Upgrade your memory.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 5.1 | iMac 7.1 | iMac 12.1 | iMac 19.1 | iPhone 11 Pro | Watch s5
I never understood clearing caches. Caches makes things faster. Why do we delete them?

Get at least 2GB of Ram.
Use DiskWarrior occassionally.
Use the 'Stop Dashboard' widget.
Disable Spotlight.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Studio, M1 Max, 32 GB RAM, 2 TB SSD
Here is my oft posted recipe for speeding up a Mac:

First, check that your processor is running full speed. Go to Preferences, Energy Saver, Options and look at the drop box down near the bottom called Processor Performance. If it is not set to "Highest", set it to that right away. This maximizes performance, but for notebooks, it may run down the battery faster. Note that not all Macs have this setting - laptops do, and my certainly my PowerMac G5 tower does, but not all Macs do.

Next, download OnyX and run the complete set of clean up and maintenance scripts and then evaluate again. Get OnyX at:

http://www.titanium.free.fr/pgs/english.html

Next, you may wish to check that you have enough free space on your hard drive. Highlight the Macintosh HD icon on your desktop, CTL-click it and select Get Info from the resulting menu. Make sure you have a reasonable amount of space left. If not, a little spring cleaning may be in order.

There are two excellent apps for showing where all of your hard disk space has gone, Disk Inventory X and WhatSize. Get them at:

Disk Inventory X: http://www.derlien.com

WhatSize: http://www.id-design.com/software/whatsize

Both do a great job at letting you zero in on your largest disk space consumers, so that you can hunt down any rogue files (and both are freeware, which is good).

Finally, it is possible you may have some processes running that are consuming a lot of idle CPU, thus slowing down your machine overall. I had a bad widget that did this once. Open Activity Monitor and look at your "resting" CPU occupancy when you are not doing anything in particular with the machine. It should be pretty much zero (maybe 1% to 2% at most). If it not, identify the process or processes that are taking the time. What are they? Do you recognize them? Are they needed?

If you find one that is not needed, kill it and see how your machine starts to behave. If this is the cure, you will need to identify the startup item that launches it and delete it.

So, in summary then, take the following steps in order:
1/ Start with ensuring that your processor speed setting is full (applies to many Macs but not all)
2/ Then do Onyx based full maintenance
3/ Then check that you have sufficient available disk space
4/ Finally, search for processes that are consuming an unexpected amount of CPU

Del

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro 2xQuad core 2.8GHZ
Anyone know when/if Oynx will be available for Leopard

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP, 2.2 GHz, 2gb RAM, 120gb HD
this is exactly what i was looking for as well.. thank you all and thanks NYSspinnerdan for starting the thread ;)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2 x 2.66 GHz Dual-Core Intel Xeon :: 5 GB 667 Mhz DDR2 FB-DIMM
what if there is no pop-up box when i go to system preferences -> energy saver.. to increase processor performance.. i clicked on options to, nothing there... ? im on mac ddesktop 1.4 tiger

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
White MacBook 2GHz Intel Core2Duo 1GB 667MHz DDR2SDRAM 120GB HD | iPod Video 80GB White | iPhone 8GB
My MacBook's startup and shutdown is also slowing down lately. I wonder what's wrong.

Anyway, thanks to everyone for the tips. I'll try them and observe the outcome. :)

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro 17" 2.6GHz 4GB RAM
Recompile the kernel.

Reaction score
Im running an I Mac G5. I find that several things slow down my computer. For one being hooked into an external hard drive slows my start up time by at least 30 seconds. Internet is number 2. When i get so ****** at the Macs performance in regards to "speed", i just yank the modem connection; (which usually helps).
Ill run about 2 or 3 programs simultaneously but no more than 4. And im the type of mate that holds a reasonable standard of expectancy in a $2500.00 piece of equipment. Because of this i dont want to have to say, that you should resort to running one program at a time. No doubt you paid for quality as such you should receive quality.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook 15' T7200 1GRAM 80G White
I never understood clearing caches. Caches makes things faster. Why do we delete them?

Get at least 2GB of Ram.
Use DiskWarrior occassionally.
Use the 'Stop Dashboard' widget.
Disable Spotlight.

How to disable Spotlight?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Try Macaroni version 2.1 which is Leopard compatible.

Set the schedules in System Preferences and have all those maintenance jobs done automatically.

Reaction score
How do I get my iMac to run faster?
Hey I have the latest iMac: intel core 2 duo generation 2.
It is amazing, but I have noticed that the time to load the dashboard, time to load up the computer at startup, and time to load up after awakening it from sleep has gotten considerably slower. I researched this, and found something about deleting cache's.
Please tell me how to make my iMac faster, and not loading up so slow.

i would try putting snow leopard on it snow leopard is much faster i know some one who got me it yesterday it's only 29 bucks but i would be at the apple store right when it opens becaues it will go really fast.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.