• The Mac-Forums Community Guidelines (linked at the top of every forum) are very clear, we respect US law and court precedence when it comes to legality of activity.

Therefore to clarify:
    • You may not discuss breaking DVD or BluRay encryption, copying, or "ripping" commercial, copy-protected DVDs.
    • This includes DVDs or BluRays you own. Even if you own the DVD or BluRay, it is still technically illegal under the DMCA to break the encryption. While some may argue otherwise, until the law is rewritten or the US Supreme Court strikes it down, we will adhere to the current intent of the law.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying unprotected movies or homemade DVDs.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying tools in the context that they are used for legal purposes as outlined in this post.

How to Transfer DVR shows to Mac?

Reaction score
I just recorded a show on my DVR at home that I want to take with me to college. How do I get it onto my mac?

I'm sorry if this question has been asked a million times, if it has, please just let me know where to find it.

I have a:

* Cox Motorola DCT6416 III

* Macbook

Thank you so much.

~Zach

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone Xs Max. Apple TV 4K
It would be easy if you had a DVD recorder. Then again maybe not. Many shows have the copyright info on them and my DVD recorder will not record them.

I don't have an answer for you, but I need to figure this out myself someday.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 15", 2.66GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 4GB RAM, OS X 10.8.2, iPad 1, 80gb iPod, ATV 1, iPhone 5
To get to dvd from my dvr I record it to my HDD+DVDR then record to disk. But that only works if you have such a device. Something else I have that might work is a USB device that lets you plug in any kind of analog source and record. I used it to hook up an old video camera to capture movies. You can find that here... http://daystar-store.com/

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.