• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

Calling all Audiophiles!!!

J

Jakus

Here is my question. I have a 17 inch imac. I just purchased a LINN Audio system to go along with my computer. I hooked up the speakers using a set of Monster cables to go from the headphone jack to the R/L inputs of the receiver. For some reason while playing music through my computer there is a tremendous amount of distortion (impedence) coming out of these speakers. I used to have a set of soundsticks, which where ok, but now my upgraded speakers currently sound like crap and they are supposed to sound better on a superior level. Any suggestions!?

OP
T

The Saab Pimp

an easy thing to do would be to clean all the contacts, including inside the headphone jack in the computer with some WD-40. don't drown them in it, just a quick spritz and a wipe with a paper towel. if that doesn't fix it, you can try hooking the speakers up to a CD player or something to check and see if the speakers themselves are defective. if it sounds fine using a CD player or whatever, then i dunno sorry.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 2.6 GHz Core 2 Duo 4GB RAM OS 10.5.2
I deleted your other thread, please do not cross post.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G4 1Ghz OS X 10.4.7
Are you sure the speakers are powered/amplified rightly?

OP
A

adamburgess

Try turning the Mac's volume down half way and the reciever's upto where you like it. So the reciever is doing the amplifying - not the headphone amp in the mac.

OP
V

vuschejan

Ok these areprobably going to sound stupid but Make sure everything is completley plugged in. Also, Make sure their are no monitors or other wires around the wires going from the headphone port to the receiver some of them may be unshielded cables causign distortion.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2
Sorry, excuse the dumb question but, does the iMac have a Line-Out?

If not, that's your problem: Your setup is only as good as the weakest link - in your case the source with it's headphone out.

Either try the suggestion above, i.e. turn the headphone output on the iMac down quite low and have the amp do the amping!

or get a decent usb line-out device for true audiophile quality.

Hope this helps, if not head over to www.head-fi.org and check out the pc as source forum.

OP
P

PinkPhishDoors

the most recent update of iMacs have audio outs> but the 17 in. he is talking about is the same as mine(only headphone and prospeaker outs) so you need to buy an iMic or similar!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.