Yellowdog Linux on G3 Lombard Powerbook

L

LeftEye

This is my first post so apologies in advance for any simplicities of expression!

I've tried to install YDL 2.1 and 3.0 on my Powerbook Lombard G3 333Mhz and I get just beyond the package selection step (in GUI and 'safe' modes) then I get a 'install exited abnormally - signal 11' message. Has anyone any ideas what this could be without getting into a load of command line stuff that I don't really understand?

Also, has anyone got OS X to run on this model? I'm not that particular about Linux. I just want a stable system that is not OS 8.6-9.2 which I really hate.

Thanks in advance!!

Neil

OP
O

Orion119

Anyone may stand to correct me on this because I'm not sure, but I was under the impression that you can't run windows or Linux straight off a mac machine because they're designed to run off different chipsets, They're called X86 or somthing.

OP
L

LeftEye

Re. Orion119 Linux on Macs

Orion119 said:
Anyone may stand to correct me on this because I'm not sure, but I was under the impression that you can't run windows or Linux straight off a mac machine because they're designed to run off different chipsets, They're called X86 or somthing.

Dear Orion119,

YellowDog Linux does run on Macs. That's what it's designed for but I think there is problem particular to the Powerbook hardware that I have. As you say, the chipset may be incompatible but I had read somewhere that it will only work if you have the right kind of RAM installed, i.e. the DIMMS will only work if they're rated at 60 or something. Anyway, I'm not sure so can anyone confirm this?

Thanks!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MacBook Pro, 13" MacBook Black, 15" iMac G4, 24" iMac (soon!)
Not sure. I've had no problem installing Yellowdog on a few various Macs.

Orion119: Normally you are correct. Most distributions of Linux are strictly for the x86 architecture, and no Macs. But Yellowdog is specifically for Macs...works great.
:)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.