15" or 17"

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" MBP, 2.26GHz, 8gb RAM
Next year I'll be studying graphic design and would like a laptop to work on... for ease of use and transport etc.

Because I'll be doing some graphic intensive stuff, I'm definitely going for the MBP but I'm not sure if I should get the 15" or 17". I'm happy to carry the 17" around, weight isn't an issue but money is. The 15" MBP has the same screen res as my 17" iMac which I think is fine for designing on but wouldn't go smaller. Would the 15" MBP have a large enough screen or should I wait a little longer so I have enough money for the 17"?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
White Macbook 2.4ghz, 2gb ram, 160gb hd,superdrive, OSX Leopard
that is PURE preference , go into an apple store, take a look and decide for yourself

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
See Sig...
Personally, I think the 15" MBP is useless. 1440x900 goes beyond "I can put up with this, for a little while" to "you want me to use what? Yeah. Ok. You have fun with that."

Obviously you shouldn't starve yourself to upgrade to the 17" or something, but honestly, for graphics design, I can't imagine the 15" being useable. I'd have doubts even about the base 17", but at least that would be tolerable (for me).

You should be aware, though, that the 17s have an issue that the 15s apparently don't... the hinges are a bit floppy. They're not as stiff as they need to be to hold the lid open if you want to lie in bed with the machine or something.

Ultimately, I think you should go to an apple store and look at all three, but honestly, I think you'd be much better served by one of the 17" models.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17" Mac Book Pro 2.4GHz HD display, Wacom I3 , WD myBook 500G, intel mac mini, 24"imac(white)
im studying design aswelland i went for a 17" with a hi res screen and im really pleased because all the drawing work is on A3 and so a17" laptop bag also fits all my portfollio work. The screen size and extra USB port is really usefull tho and for grapics i can see a bigger screen being better.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Late 2015 5K iMac 4ghz 32gb 4gb Graphics - Late 2011 17" MacBook Pro 2.4ghz quad i7 16gb ram
My Pastor has the new 2.4ghz 15" he also does a lot of graphic designing, he says the 15" is good, and im getting ready to get the 15" 2.2ghz model as well for video editing. As long as u get a nice 20"-23" external monitor to use at home or where ever, you should be set.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 15" 2.4GHz 4Gb OCZ RAM
Different type of screen backlighting on the 15" compared to the 17" unless they have moved the backlit LED to the 17" as well, in which case... FFS! ;)

for me, I found the 15" to be more pleasing to the eye, when Apple make the 17's with backlit LED, then they'd have another sale, I'd get the 17" without batting an eyelid with the higher resolution :) it was purely that reason at the time that I got the 15" instead of the 17"

considering you said price is a factor, if you have a large monitor already, then what Camera Man said would be ideal, get the 15" for when out and about, at home, hook it up to the monitor, the money you saved could be spent on other stuff like a decent mouse, as I doubt you would want to use the trackpad for any length of time editing graphics and the like... at least I don't :)

at the end of the day, get yourself to an Apple store or reseller, and play with them, only you can make the decision on what is right for you.

OP
Leukeh
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" MBP, 2.26GHz, 8gb RAM
Thanks for the help everyone. I'm fairly certain I'll go with the 17" but I'm going to wait until they release a new model. If they follow the iMac and iPod trend, it'll me much better and considerably cheaper.

One question about external monitors though - do they have to be Apple brand to work? Or can I use a different brand?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
See Sig...
You can use any monitor with a DVI or, with an adapter, VGA port

Reaction score
I say if your going to do it, do what you will like for a long time so I say go for the 17"!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Reigns surpeme
The 17" just isnt as portable as the 15"

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MacBook Pro w/ 2.4 GHz C2D, 4 GB RAM, 250 GB
Although I don't do video editing, I will say that I can't imagine using a notebook that is any bigger than the 15". Especially when it's on my lap, it almost feels too big, and I'm a big guy. Of course, it's all a matter of personal preference. If there is an Apple store near you, you should go and try them both out. I would say that with your needs, of course, you should go for the higher-end 15".

Reaction score
I am a graphic design major and I have a 15.4" MBP. The 15.4" screen works great for doing work in all the Creative Suite CS3 programs.

With the 15.4" I can put it in my back pack and off I go to class or wherever.

Like everyone else said go check out the Apple store.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.