External dvd burner recommendations

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac G4 flat screen
Hi
I have an iMac g4 flat screen with Sony DVD -10a burner. Its never been very reliable at recognising discs and often fails to burn properly. I was thinking about getting an external dvd burner. I mostly create in DVD studio pro and burn up to 50 copies of discs. Can anyone recommend a suitable burner or warn me of any potential problems. My mac does not have USB2.

Thanks

sclogg

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Quad 2.8GHz Mac Pro, Edge iPhone
Buy a firewire DVD burner or buy an internal one and install it yourself.
Internal SuperDrive for Mac $34.99
I've never used an external burner before so I do not know what to recommend.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" Intel iMac 2.4 Ghz/3G Ram/320HD, Snow Leopard. PBook G4, 1.5Ghz/1.5 Ram/250 HD, Leopard 10.5.6.
Funnily I have an external Sony DL burner - Firewire is essential by the way - and it is very reliable. The model number is DRX 830UL-T.
Bear something in mind. Sometimes bad burns and disc recognition are down to the media that you use. Cheap discs are very flaky, and many burners are fussy about certain brands/dyes.
Stick with good makes like Verbatim or Imation, or if you want budget discs, Ritek and Tuffdisc are very good.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.