A question about iSight

Reaction score
I just bought an aluminum iMac, is the built-it camera good, or is a real external iSight noticeably better?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15in i7 MacBook Pro, 8GB RAM, 120GB SSD, 500GB HD
The internal camera is a huge upgrade from the old external iSight.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Studio, M1 Max, 32 GB RAM, 2 TB SSD
I agree with Stretch, at least to the extent of my experience. I have a PowerMac G5 (no built in iSight) and so I purchased an iSight at the time I got the Mac itself. Prior to this, I had been using a Logitech Quickcam Pro 4000. Honestly, I was disappointed with the quality of the picture from the iSight - still am in all truthfulness.

By contrast, whenever I have test driven iMacs at the local Apple store (I continue to techo-lust after a 24" 2.8 GHz iMac) I have always been really, really impressed with the image from the built in iSight. MILES better than the external one.

So, IMHO Stretch has it - you will be happier with the internal than the external.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iBook G3 - You'll be missed.
I agree, the only problem with the internal is you can't move it with out moving the whole computer, but it works great. Video quality is pretty decent.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac Core Duo 20", iBook G4, iPhone 8GB :)
Doesn't the external iSight have a sort of physical focus lens thing going on? But still, at least from what I hear, the new Macbook Pro has a 1.3MP iSight lens...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Studio, M1 Max, 32 GB RAM, 2 TB SSD
Yes, it does have a focus ability, but it is limited.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.