macbook wireless IP printer help

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13.3" white macbook. 2 GHz Core 2 Duo. 160GB. 2GB memory, and giving leapord a second chance.
2nd day on the mac, and im getting around finally.. however, im having trouble finding the printer conneted to my router.

im using a HP desktop connected to my lynksis 802.11b router, and i have my macbook connected wirelessly to the connection. i used the network assist to connect, but when i add a printer, its no where to be found.

i went onto the HP site, and downloaded the drivers for my printer. (photojet 8050) and installed everything, but still it can't see the printer over the air..

any idea's?

Reaction score
2nd day on the mac, and im getting around finally.. however, im having trouble finding the printer conneted to my router.

im using a HP desktop connected to my lynksis 802.11b router, and i have my macbook connected wirelessly to the connection. i used the network assist to connect, but when i add a printer, its no where to be found.

i went onto the HP site, and downloaded the drivers for my printer. (photojet 8050) and installed everything, but still it can't see the printer over the air..

any idea's?

Download and install Bonjour from the apple.com website.

bonjour

OP
built b16a
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13.3" white macbook. 2 GHz Core 2 Duo. 160GB. 2GB memory, and giving leapord a second chance.
cool.. i clicked on the link, it took me to that "bonjour" page and all the info and what not... but is it a freeware program from apple... or is it a purchase program? i didn't see a download link anywhere on that page.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac Duo White
It should all ready be installed on your system. Are you trying to install the HP from system preference->printers, then adding a new printer through IP Printer ?

OP
built b16a
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
printer.jpg

after doing rescan, and looking for my connection, its not showing.

my printer is connected to a windows PC..

im horrible at networking. but this is my setup. from the wall, to the modem. modem to the wireless router. router to PC. PC to printer.

the macbook is connected wirelessly on the 802.11b.. i was having a very hard time connecting to the wireless with a WEP key. i had advice doing WAP, but i don't know how to set it up.

so.. my main goal isn't security. i dont' store files for the CIA.. i just don't want neighbors jacking my bandwith, so i simply hid the SSID tag, and had to manually enter my wireless connection name.

so whats my next step? i have a good printer, its a HP photosmart printer, and ide like to keep it. i dont' print photo's alot, and usually when i do, i put the onto a memory card, and just stick it directly into the card reader slot on the printer.

ive also been told, i should look into getting a different printer that is "network compatable"? like being able to connect the printer directly in the back of the wireless router. then hopefully it would reconize it.

Reaction score
I'll just forget printing

I open up the printing icon, click the plus sign...and nothing. Nothing shows. I have a WiFi connection with my Linksys G, and my HP desktop, through an ethernet connection is also hooked up to my HP printer. My old pc laptop found it just fine. My MBP does't recognize anything. I went on the pc into the control panel and added the OS X and 515? Don't have a clue as to what that means. Also changed to print sharing. Told to go into the terminal and type up some gobbily gook and it asked for a password. It wouldn't even type. God...there has to be an easier way. I know many people have asked, but it seems to friggin difficult. I'm thinking I'll just do all my typing on the pc....I hate to do that, because I enjoy doing work on my laptop.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
The problem is inherent to Mac OS and the way it handles ports. Windows doesn't have this problem because on Windows, the driver doesn't care how the printer is physically connected, it just does the basic tasks of a driver. On Mac OS, the driver is usually specifically written for the type of port the printer uses natively (i.e., it expects that the printer will be connected via USB, and if it's not, it just won't give you the option to use that driver).

So, what you need to do is to find a compatible driver that is network-capable. Your mileage may vary depending on the popularity of your model of printer. In many cases, you just need to break down and buy a printer that is network-capable out of the box.

The Networking Printers FAQ covers this in more detail.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.