G4 doesn't wake from sleep

g23

Reaction score
I've had my 733 G4 for 3 years now, and it's never given me any trouble until recently. One day, it just wouldn't wake from sleep mode anymore. I have to either press the reset button or unplug it. On top of that, when it's in sleep mode, the fans and hard drive are still spinning. I have a 733 Mhz G4 with 1.5 Gb of RAM and a 24 in studio display running OS 10.4.10. Any help, thoughts, etc. would be very much appreciated. I'm not even sure it's a problem with the hardware, but that's where I'm starting. Any redirection is welcome as well.

M

MacHeadCase

Welcome to Mac-Forums, g23.

A few things to try: Resetting your Mac's PRAM and NVRAM.

Resetting the Cuda Chip.

Resetting Cuda/PMU on Power Mac G5, Power Mac G4, Power Macintosh G3.

Also you can check the hardware by popping in your Apple Hardware Test in your optical drive" With your model, I think the Power Macs came with a CD kit? The Hardware Test should be on one of them. Restart from that CD and when prompted, ask for the Extended Test. It'll take a while but it will check all hardware components. For a PowerPC-based Mac such as yours, you need to restart with the CD in your optical drive and press the C key.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.