Clean Up Application

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
White Macbook, 1.83 ghz, 512 mb RAM, 60 gb HD
I am looking for a free program that I can download that will clean up my macbook drive. My macbook doesn't do so well anymore running multiple applications. I download quite a bit of live music (legally), so I'm just lookin to beef up my macbooks performance a little bit without updating the RAM, which I do plan on doing in the future.

Reaction score
One word: Don't.
All of the so called clean up programs depend ultimately on you making the decision as to what is kept and what is trashed. So they aren't any smarter than you. Some will go ahead and delete foreign language support. Makes sense right? You only need one language, so in the quest for a faster machine you delete Pre-Colombian Urgay language support. And as soon as you do, Rosetta stops working, MS Office won't launch and you are back to square one.
Look at the Activity Monitor and see what is running. Look at the Page in/page out numbers after a day of use. Remember, having a billion files of stuff won't slow your Mac down. It only depends on what is running.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
12" Apple PowerBook G4 (1.5GHz)
Look at the Activity Monitor and see what is running. Look at the Page in/page out numbers after a day of use. Remember, having a billion files of stuff won't slow your Mac down. It only depends on what is running.

That's a valid point. Computers don't get "dirty." [size=-4](Well, they do, but a little time with some paper towels, a Mr Clean Magic Eraser, some canned air, and a Hoover takes care of that.)[/size] So if your Mac is running slowly, you should probably try to figure out why, instead of looking for some magic quick-fix program.

-Do you have enough free disk space (At least 15% or so)
-Do you have enough memory? (When running your normal suite of programs, at least, oh, 25% of your total memory should be "free" or "inactive" in the Activity Monitor. [EDIT: This is very likely a problem if you only have 512MB to start with]
-Are you running too many background applications? All of those cool add-ons like Growl, Quickilver, Shapeshifter and the like come at a cost in memory and CPU cycles. So do active Dashboard widgets.

Reaction score
.. and what to do if you already deleted language data? is there a way (not including installing the system again) to get it back? :\

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini (Late 2014) 2.6GHz Intel Core i5 Memory: 8GB 1600MHz DDR3
.. (not including installing the system again)

Nope. :( Well, maybe there's some esoteric method that involves other software that you would need to purchase...

Reaction score
I agree with Sherman Homan. Your machine could not be smarter than you because final decision decision will be yours.

But, how about those applications which list
1. All the applications not been used for last many moths (useless for you)
2. Delete duplicate files eating useful space on your drive.
3. Remove unnecessary multi language support for specific software.
4. Unnecessary binary files

And asks for your decision to either delete or preserve them.
Doing all these tasks manually, is time consuming. So, I would support using Mac cleaning software to boost Mac performance.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.