Xbox Live Connection Through Wireless

Reaction score
Hey, I've been trying to access the internet for my Xbox 360 using my MacBook Pro's wireless but have not been able to.

However, I HAVE managed on my flatmate's Powerbook G4 - following the instructions below:

--------------------

-First off, get all the hardware setup. This is probably the easiest part. Take the cable that comes with your Xbox (or any network cable that fits) and connect it to the back of your Xbox and your Mac. Turn on the Mac and the Xbox (not necessarily simultaneously; probably turn on your Mac first). When your Xbox is on, head to the Xbox dashboard.

-On your Mac, head over to the System Preferences and click on “Network.” From the “Show” menu, select “Built-in Ethernet” and set “Configure IPv4? to “Off.” Now head back to System Preferences (click “Show All”) and then go to “Sharing.” Click on the “Internet” button and check the box next to “Built-in Ethernet.” Make sure “Share your connection from: Airport” is selected as well.

-Open Terminal (if you can’t find it, just type “Terminal” in Spotlight) and type in the following exactly: ifconfig en0. Hit enter, and it should return something like inet 192.168.2.1 netmask 0xffffff00 broadcast 192.168.2.255. If the first IP is something other than 192.168.2.1 make note of it, and don’t close Terminal.

-Now, turn around and grab your Xbox controller. Go to the Network settings, and set the IP Configuration to Manual, the IP to 192.168.2.2, the Mask to 255.255.255.0, and the router/gateway to 192.168.2.1 (the IP that I told you to make note of earlier — if yours is different, input that IP instead).

-Get back on your Mac, go to Terminal, and type in dig and hit enter. There will be a lot of data, but you need to pay attention to only one line. Near the end of the output, a line will begin with SERVER. That’s the line you need to look at. Find the IP address in that line, and highlight it.

-Go to the Xbox and go to DNS Configuration. Set it to Manual, and input the IP that you just found in Terminal as the primary DNS server. Set your PPPoE settings to Off and your Advanced to Automatic.

-Test your Xbox Live connection. Provided you followed all the steps properly, you should have a connection.

------------------------------

The only problem I have with the MacBook Pro over the Powerbook G4 is the 2nd step of the above process. When I go into "Internet" in my system preferences I am only given the option of "Built in Firewire" from the drop down menu, and not "Built in Ethernet" like the guide says. This is the only step that I encountered that differed between the MacBook Pro and Powerbook G4.

Does anyone know how to alter this setting on the MacBook Pro?

Thanks

Reaction score
xbox through macbook

okay so i did everything you described to the T yet my xbox says failed for the IP address every time i check it.

Last login: Wed Oct 17 20:24:36 on ttyp1
Welcome to Darwin!
BlackBook2-10:~ justin$ ifconfig en0
en0: flags=8863<UP,BROADCAST,SMART,RUNNING,SIMPLEX,MULTICAST> mtu 1500
inet6 fe80::216:cbff:fed0:7944%en0 prefixlen 64 scopeid 0x4
inet 192.168.2.1 netmask 0xffffff00 broadcast 192.168.2.255
inet 169.254.153.214 netmask 0xffff0000 broadcast 169.254.255.255
ether 00:16:cb:d0:79:44
media: autoselect (100baseTX <full-duplex,flow-control>) status: active
supported media: autoselect 10baseT/UTP <half-duplex> 10baseT/UTP <full-duplex> 10baseT/UTP <full-duplex,hw-loopback> 10baseT/UTP <full-duplex,flow-control> 100baseTX <half-duplex> 100baseTX <full-duplex> 100baseTX <full-duplex,hw-loopback> 100baseTX <full-duplex,flow-control> 1000baseT <full-duplex> 1000baseT <full-duplex,hw-loopback> 1000baseT <full-duplex,flow-control> none
BlackBook2-10:~ justin$ dig

its the first number 192.168.2.1 right? not the second inet number 169.254.153.214?

Reaction score
Ethernet...

I don't know how much help this will be but...

OS Leopard...

System Preferences > Network > + (under the list) > Interface = Ethernet...

Also important...

System Preferences > Sharing >Internet Sharing > Tick the box next to Ethernet... this will allow other computers to connect through your MBP to the netz like a router...I think... I dunno

Having never tried it I don't know but I would have thought that could help.

Reaction score
Connecting to xbox live w/ mac pro

I've been experiencing the same type of problem with my mac pro as well. I have a wireless network at home, and have connected all of my laptops and consoles to the internet. Although, I don't have a problem connecting to xbox live when I connect my ethernet cord from my router unto my xbox. It connects effortlessly I may add. However, I can't get the same result when I want to plug my xbox onto my mac pro.

I never seem to get a connection. Clearly my mac is connected to the internet. So why can't I just plug and play? Trust me, I've restarted the mac, the connection a million times. I just can't connect to xbox live! What settings do I tweak on my mac pro so that I can share a connection??

:Grimmace:

-puzzled gamer

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.