Mac Pro 2xQuad core 2.8GHZ
Define "make my own messageboard"

Do you mean how to i sit down and program my own message board

or

Do you mean how do i install a message board to my web hosting account

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac pro quad 2.66 / G5 1.8
The simplest way is to get a hosting account with PHP and MySQL, and install something like PhPbb.

Most hosting will have php anyway. You might be charged a little extra for the MySQL. PHPbb is free - it's not the best in the world, but it is well tried and tested, and pretty popular. You won't get any ads.

Don't waste time trying to find a Non-mysql board, none of them work.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.16GHz C2D MacBook w/ 2GB RAM & 120GB HD. HTC Droid Incredible.
Don't waste time trying to find a Non-mysql board, none of them work.
Tons of them work! It's just that PHP & mySQL are the most used now. :) I remember back in the day when CGI boards and Infopop where the leaders in message board software. Then PHP and mySQL became popular and everyone realized how much server resources the CGI boards were eating up.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 20" C2D 2.4 GHz 2GB + iPod shuffle
I just setup my own messageboard the other day, it took me about 4 hours. I had to install Apache, PHP, SQLite and phpBB3. And I installed it into my Windows server... Basically I installed it just for the kicks and for few of my friends to exchange information.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac pro quad 2.66 / G5 1.8
Tons of them work! It's just that PHP & mySQL are the most used now. :) I remember back in the day when CGI boards and Infopop where the leaders in message board software. Then PHP and mySQL became popular and everyone realized how much server resources the CGI boards were eating up.

I'll rephrase then. Don't try one without a database back end.

I'd stick with the original recommendation anyway, I can't think of a simpler/cheaper way to do it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.16GHz C2D MacBook w/ 2GB RAM & 120GB HD. HTC Droid Incredible.
Instead of worrying about hosting and installing the message board script (or even having to run the automated installer) there are some places that will host your message board for free (with ads of course).

Check this link out: http://www.freecenter.com/forums.html

Or google for more information.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.