• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

AWESOME 2gb/4gb RAM deals @ Fry's

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
See Sig...
Wasn't sure what forum to put this in, but...

For anyone that lives in the SF Bay Area (edit: OR online, see post #2) the Friday Fry's ad has a 4GB kit of OCZ DDR2/667 (sku# 5284717) with a lifetime warranty for $180 in store with a $30 MIR, and they have an OCZ 2GB kit (sku# 5387938, should also have a lifetime warranty) for $70 with a $20 MIR.

Also note that the 4GB kit is labeled as PC5300 in the ad. It's not. It's PC5400. Says so on my receipt and on the stickers on the RAM itself.

If you're in the area, you've got the $ to spare, and you haven't upgraded your MB/MBP yet... The Campbell store had 9 4GB kits left when I called at 8:30 tonight, they now have no more than 8 ('cause I made an emergency run, in the rain no less, and one of those 9 is now sitting on my bed... :p), so if you want it, I suspect you'll need to jump on it ASAP. I don't think you'll find a better deal on RAM than this. OCZ makes good stuff.

OP
G
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
See Sig...
OP
G
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
See Sig...
Ok... I'm gonna bump this one last time, then let it die. I just put the 4GB kit in the MBP last night. It works flawlessly, and the machine absolutely flies compared to how it was running on 2gb. If you've got a MB, MBP, or even an intel iMac or Mini (both of which take laptop RAM, as far as I know) you really, really, really ought to max it out. RAM is so cheap right now (even if you don't get the OCZ stuff I linked to) that I can't see any justification for NOT doing it.

Reaction score
so this is the right ram for macbook with intel duo 2 core? is it specifically for macs?

OP
G
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
See Sig...
It is not specifically for macs, no. Nor does it need to be. DDR2 is DDR2 is DDR2, basically. It's not like it was with SDRAM where you had low density and high density to worry about. IF it's installed correctly, and it's not defective (extremely rare, but it does happen sometimes) the 2GB kit will work fine in a core 2 duo MacBook. The 4GB kit WILL NOT work in a MacBook, in a Mini or in the older iMacs-it'll only work in the MBP and the latest Aluminum iMac.

broke much?
Well... (I'm going to ignore the fact that that was probably a rhetorical question...) Considering that I spend almost as much on my lunches in a single work week as I did on that 4GB kit... What do you think? :p

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro with a purdy Reef cover, MacBook, iBook, iPhone, iPod.
Do you happen to know how long this sale is going on for?

Thanks!

Reaction score
i think its over end of today (oct 16), but if not, you wouldn't be able to send in the rebate. b/c thats over today.

OP
G
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
See Sig...
The newspaper ad expires tomorrow (the 16th). Not sure about online.

//edit msen is right about the online deals; if you read the pages you'll find that the rebates expire tomorrow as well.

HOWEVER, even without the rebates the price is pretty darn reasonable.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.