Personal Web Sharing / File Sharing ?

W

WhitE_RabbiT

Ok, I have a couple questions.

First, with Personal Web Sharing, where is my "computers web site" located? What folder? I know my "personal web site" is in the /Users/Username/Sites folder, but what about my computers?

Secondly, with file sharing, be it Windows or just Personal File Sharing, how do I select what folders I want to make available to share. With Personal File Sharing, it seems to me that it is sharing my ENTIRE hard drive. Is there any way I can only share the /Users/Username/Public folder?

Thanks guys, any input is appreciated.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G4 1Ghz OS X 10.4.7
So you are trying to establish a set of folders in your user name that will be open to share? Setting permissions that way is easy in the terminal. Or you can group folders that you wanna have open to another user name that is private to you

OP
A

Anna

WhiteE_RabbiT said:
First, with Personal Web Sharing, where is my "computers web site" located? What folder? I know my "personal web site" is in the /Users/Username/Sites folder, but what about my computers?

Macintosh HD > Documents > Web Pages looks promising, but I'm not sure. It might just be the documentation.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Pwnt
For your computers website, it's located at /Library/WebServer/Documents. Then you can access whatever you put in there by typing in http://127.0.0.1 in safari, or looking in the sharing prefs to get your external IP address and typing that in instead.

For sharing files - my setup is such that there is an actual user called 'shared' and I put anything I want in its home folder to be shared. So when other people connect to my computer, an authentication box comes up and they type in 'shared' as the username.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.