Superdrive not working

Reaction score
Hi - I have a 3-year old Powerbook G4 17-inch. Recently the internal 'Superdrive' stopped working, i.e. it wouldn't accept any disks fed into it. At first I thought it might be an internal fault (broken lever, or similar), but then I noticed that the drive wasn't showing up in the system profiler.

This led me to suspect that the drive wasn't getting power and/or data connection: in other words, perhaps a connector had worked loose inside.

So I opened the unit up (it's OK, I'm quite good at this sort of thing!) and noticed that there was a single ribbon strip connected to the drive. I pushed this home securely (I actually thought it budged very slightly and was therefore hopeful), but to no avail: the drive remained unresponsive.

I am a little puzzled by the lack of any apparent power connector to the drive as the connector strip seems more like a data connector and a little 'skimpy' for carrying power. Could I have missed something?

If nothing elese turns up, I am considering replacing the drive at a cost of over £200, but am concerned that the problem may not be the drive but some other part of the system that supplies it with power/data. Once I have tried out the new drive, and if the problem persists, I'm unlikely to be able to return it.

So, suggestions anyone? Thanks :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
White Macbook 2.4ghz, 2gb ram, 160gb hd,superdrive, OSX Leopard
do you have applecare?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.