Should I wait to buy a Mac?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro 2.2 Ghz/ 2GB RAM / 120 GB HDD
Hello,
Once Leopard is released will Apple start shipping macs with the new OS? If so, would it be wise to wait until this happens before buying a Mac (first time buyer here)? Or can I assume that upgrading from one version of OS X to another will not be as nightmarish as upgrading from one version of Windows to another version is?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13 inch Macbook Pro Retina, 2.7ghz, 128gb SSD
Although reinstalling in Mac OS X is much easier compared to XP/Vista i would wait, its only a few weeks to wait and you can save 120 dollars

OP
M
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Although reinstalling in Mac OS X is much easier compared to XP/Vista i would wait, its only a few weeks to wait and you can save 120 dollars

If I did not want to save the 120 dollars and was looking at this purely from the standpoint of a seamless upgrade, then would you still advise the wait?

Reaction score
Well, considering there aren't any hardware boosts around the corner you could justify buying a computer now and upgrading the OS on your own timeline.

I would check out the apple website and watch all the 10.5 new feature videos. If you're not impressed, then I would buy now.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.2GHZ Macbook Pro - 4GB RAM - 500GB HD
Well, considering there aren't any hardware boosts around the corner you could justify buying a computer now and upgrading the OS on your own timeline.

I would check out the apple website and watch all the 10.5 new feature videos. If you're not impressed, then I would buy now.

How do you know there aren't any hardware boosts coming with Leopard? I thought it was a possibility that they were upgrading the macbook by mid November. I realize no one knows for sure, but I thought that was the rumor.

T

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro. 16GB iPod Touch.
I would wait... Keep in mind that even if you buy the new OS it doesn't come with iLife 08, so if you wanted that you'd have to buy it also. That's pretty pricey if you ask me, even if you're just going for the OS.

However it's super easy to upgrade the OS, really you pop in the disc and hit go. Nothing like Windows at all.

Reaction score
A hardware boost to me is a major upgrade over a previous model. Such as the Santa Rosa jump for the MBP's, or the new case for the iMacs.

A processor bump of .2 Ghz is nothing to wait out for.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.2GHZ Macbook Pro - 4GB RAM - 500GB HD
Agreed, but how do you know they aren't releasing the new slim macbooks or the santa rosa macbooks (as some rumors suggest) with Leopard? I've got my money put aside and I'm going to wait a couple weeks just to be sure...

T

Reaction score
Upgrading OS is pretty easy. I would say go for it, because if you buy a new machine within 1 month or two weeks ( I can't remember which but its irrelevant at this point.) you get a free upgrade to the new OS. Go for it Man!!

Reaction score
I'm by no means encouraging buying a computer before a major OS update, but regarding the initial post, it is not a big deal to buy now, update later.

Strictly from a software point of view, yes it's cheaper to buy a computer with the latest OS pre-installed. But if 10.5 is not a must have, then there's no need to wait.

Personally, i'm waiting for blu-ray burners, flash system file memory, and storage in the .75 TB range before I upgrade my laptop. I also wont mind waiting a few months for any "kinks" to be worked out of any new OS.

OP
M
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
speaking of upgrading laptops, I bought a Macbook pro with a 120 GB HDD. How complicated is it going to be to bump up my hard disk to the 160 GB 7200 RPM drive?

Also, if I do buy Leopard, which I will, could I choose to do a clean install as opposed to upgrading.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
I would wait... Keep in mind that even if you buy the new OS it doesn't come with iLife 08, so if you wanted that you'd have to buy it also. That's pretty pricey if you ask me, even if you're just going for the OS.

iLife 08 is pre-installed on all new Mac's, so there is no needing to buy it also when Leopard hits the street. Buying iLife 08 separately only applies to those of us that have had their systems since prior to 08's release.

Personally, i'm waiting for blu-ray burners, flash system file memory, and storage in the .75 TB range before I upgrade my laptop. I also wont mind waiting a few months for any "kinks" to be worked out of any new OS.

You could be waiting a very long time.

speaking of upgrading laptops, I bought a Macbook pro with a 120 GB HDD. How complicated is it going to be to bump up my hard disk to the 160 GB 7200 RPM drive?

Also, if I do buy Leopard, which I will, could I choose to do a clean install as opposed to upgrading.

Here is a walkthrough on changing out the drive.

Here is a thread on your options for installing Leopard started by our newest Mod.

Reaction score
I bought my iMac last november and my mate told me to wait as Leopard was being released in a few months!!!!! im glad i never listened to him and the rumors.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
macbook pro 15 2.2ghz - 2gb - 8600m gt | ipod nano 8gb
I'll be waiting out till end of october to see if the New OS has shipped before I buy my macbook. I also thought I better wait out just in case there is a hardware spec change for the macbook, probably not as I dont see the new OS being a resource hog like Vista :)

Either way Im looking forward to my first Mac! ;D

OP
M
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iLife 08 is pre-installed on all new Mac's, so there is no needing to buy it also when Leopard hits the street. Buying iLife 08 separately only applies to those of us that have had their systems since prior to 08's release.

You could be waiting a very long time.

Here is a walkthrough on changing out the drive.

Here is a thread on your options for installing Leopard started by our newest Mod.

Thanks for the links. However, I am not quite I want to void my warranty by replacing the drive myself. Is this something I can get done by an Apple certified tech?

Reaction score
I'll be waiting out till end of october to see if the New OS has shipped before I buy my macbook. I also thought I better wait out just in case there is a hardware spec change for the macbook, probably not as I dont see the new OS being a resource hog like Vista :)

Either way Im looking forward to my first Mac! ;D
I think the MacBook is supposed to get a refresh after Leopard comes out. At least I read that somewhere.

Reaction score
i would like to say if leopard can run on windows (x86),i will give off vista!so when it comes true i will try my best to own one!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook(W) 2GHz, 80GB HD, 1G RAM, Windows XP
as far as i know, apple very rarely if ever releases two things so close. leopard got bumped to october so they could work more on the iphone and they didn't want one to get lost in the hype of the other. so i doubt any great hardware updates are coming. but if you buy a new mac now you can get leopard for about 10$ from apple http://www.apple.com/macosx/uptodate/

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.