WEP Password

Reaction score
How do I use a WEP password with AirPort?

It does not work, I have found several solutions on google that do not work, these include adding a dollar sign ($) to the key, or enclosing it in double quotes (").

Neither of these have worked, is the only other way to use WPA encryption?

Jake

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro 14" M1 Pro, 16GB, 1TB, OS 12.6.9
How do I use a WEP password with AirPort?

It does not work, I have found several solutions on google that do not work, these include adding a dollar sign ($) to the key, or enclosing it in double quotes (").

Neither of these have worked, is the only other way to use WPA encryption?

Jake
What kind of wireless router do you have? You set up your WEP security via the wireless router's configuration utility. After that, just let Airport know the WEP key you set up when configuring the router.

-Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac's
Can you use WPA security instead of WEP... it is MUCH more secure (WEP is VERY VERY easy to get through)>

OP
J
Reaction score
Good point.
I just moved into a new shared house, and do not know if the router supports WPA. Ideally I don't want to move in and demand that the router is changed to WPA and everyone has to change their network keys.

Why doesn't WEP 'just work' with AirPort like everything else on a Mac?

OP
J
Reaction score
Is there a way I can convert the WEP Password to the correct format for the WEP Hex key

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Al iMac 20" 2.4Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo
Go to your Airport icon at the top of the screen and try the different encrytion options. Your passkey should work with one of them, although it might not be the one you expect.

OP
J
Reaction score
Alexis that did not work either. But I have got it working now.

I accessed the Router via ether net cable and checked the password. When entering a password the router interface generates 4 Keys, I used the primary key that it generated on my Mac and it now works great.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.