Previous model iMac 2.16GHz - Any feedback

Reaction score
I'm purchasing a brand new iMac 2.16Ghz. It's the previous model with 24" screen. It's still in it's original box. Applecare included. 250Gb HD, 1GB RAM, NVIDIA GeForce 7300GT with 128 MB GDDR3 SDRAM card. All for $1450. Good deal? What do you guys think? I'm wanting to run the new Logic studio on it as well as Adobe CS3. I wanted a Macbook Pro for the job, but it's way over my budget at the moment.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Al iMac 20" 2.4Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo
I'd buy the new one personally, or be looking at $1000 for the old white 24".

It's not that good a deal in the long term, especially when you can Leopard for nothing in a fortnight with a new Mac.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Quad 2.8GHz Mac Pro, Edge iPhone
That sounds like a great deal until I saw it only had the 128MB vid card. It sounds like you will be doing a lot of intensive work so i recommend an iMac with a 256mb vid card.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP - 24" white iMac - 16gb white iphone3G - 20gb iPod colour
Well I've just bought the very same iMac only afew days back. Got mine for £1000 (uk). Only reason I bought this was the fact that I liked it more than the new ali one. Not a fan of the glossy screen. I cant fault it and dont think I every will. I dont do anything intensive on it so it's perfect for me, but i do have a 2.33 macbook pro for stuff like that. The only thing that I'm bothers me about the machine is the fact that the stand is silver??? Since when was it that colour always thought it was white like the computer? Oh well i very very minor point on a perfect machine.

cheers

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
See Sig...
The only comment I can make is that the 7300GT is a terribly, terribly gutless video chipset. Whether that matters to you or not, I don't know. But it's something to keep in mind.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
The white iMac is a fantastic machine. It's just that in the long term, the new machine is always going to be better, unless you can get a ridiculously good deal on it.

Reaction score
I'm purchasing a brand new iMac 2.16Ghz. It's the previous model with 24" screen. It's still in it's original box. Applecare included. 250Gb HD, 1GB RAM, NVIDIA GeForce 7300GT with 128 MB GDDR3 SDRAM card. All for $1450. Good deal? What do you guys think? I'm wanting to run the new Logic studio on it as well as Adobe CS3. I wanted a Macbook Pro for the job, but it's way over my budget at the moment.

Hi Kiteboarder,
I have used this particular iMac Model for heavy graphic design and web. Overall its a good Mac and adequate for graphic design. In my opinion, the 128mb videocard will suffice for 2D graphic design and it supports 3 gig ram. I did a billboard layout in photoshop, about 20 feet by 15 feet and it's adequate to handle the file. If you are doing 3D graphics and video editing, thats a different story, the videocard might not be enough. But for 2D print, thats okay. It really depends on what your line of work.

The only thing is for the price, you can try to negotiate for a discount. I have seen the new Aluminum iMac. I just find the glossy lcd screen distracting compared to the matte screen of the older iMac. Also, my friend advises me, whenever a new Mac model comes out or a new OS, its better to wait out for 3 months or more before to check it the model does not have any bugs , glitches. Usually Users reviews provide good information on the performance of the new models.

Thank you

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
For 2D work, pretty much any graphics card will find it easy. Photshop doesn't tax the graphics card in the same way as a 3D game.

If you're not playing games, the 7300GT will be fine.

When you sell your aluminium iMac in 3 or 4 years, you will get more for it second hand than the white.

OP
K
Reaction score
Wow! Thanks to everybody for your honest opinions. I was surprised at how thorough most of the comments were.

Well, I have purchase the iMAC in question. I understand the Pros and Cons. For one thing, it's not the best deal on the planet. But honestly, I sometimes try to avoid "too good to be true" deals in favor of better peace of mind while still avoiding retail prices. There was very little risk with this one. 1. Seller was reputable, 2. Mac was new in Box, 3. Included Applecare, 4. I could pick it up (no risky shipping) 5. All original receipts, Plus, 6. I saved about $450 over the new aluminum iMac. Now I have money left over to max out the RAM.

Overall, I've been using it for a few days and I'm quite happy. I noticed a few bugs on this my first Intel Core Duo System, but overall, still very good. I really like the screen too. Like many of you mentioned, I'm not all that impressed with the graphics card. But then again, I don't do heavy video editing and 95% of my graphics work is 2D. Then for running Logic Studio (which I've yet to buy and install) it should work fine.

So again, thanks, I'm pretty happy with the purchase. I'll post any updates soon. :)

OP
K
Reaction score
Quick question... I noticed this iMac 2.16GHz, has 2 RAM slots. If the specs say it maxes out at 3GB, does this mean I have to install a 2Gb card in one of the slots for a total of 3Gb?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
See Sig...
Yes, that's exactly what it means. 1 1GB stick and 1 2GB.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.