USB 1 or 2 ipod connection

P

paulabee

Hi anyone, I am new to Ipods and PC's what is the difference bewteen USB 1 and 2. If I have USB1 will it be able to connect and download to the IPOD? thanks :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac C2D 2.16ghz, 13" MacBook 2.0ghz, 60gb iPod vid, 1gb nano
USB 2 is up to 400 times faster (not usually that fast) than USB 1

OP
P

paulabee

usb1 port

trpnmonkey41 said:
USB 2 is up to 400 times faster (not usually that fast) than USB 1

does this mean you can connect it to the usb 1 port?

many thanks

Reaction score
I'm slowly sinking in the posts of Mac-forums
Your Mac's Specs
PowerBook 12" Combo Drive/867 MHz/256 MB RAM/40 GB hard drive/Mac OS X 10.3.5/AirPort Extreme it sux
You can still connect it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PowerMac G5 Dual 2GHz (June 2004), 2.5GB, Airport, black 5G iPod 30GB, white MacBook 2.0 2GB
Actually there are three USB speeds:

USB 1.0 (low speed) 1.5Mb/s
USB 1.1 (full speed) 12Mb/s
USB 2.0 (high speed) 480Mb/s

Existing USB ports are 1.1 or 2.0, 1.0 is only a spec for slow devices (like mouse and keyboard) and not used as a separate port.

The iPod is compatible to USB 1.1, but filetransfer will be quite slow...

OP
I

Icarus

You'd probably want to invest in a firewire card or a usb card..(not even sure if they make 'em) but it'd take about forever and a day to transfer any large amount of songs on a USB 1...
(I think a friend of mine did 300 and took about 45 minutes-ish?) The next day he bought a firewire card.

OP
G

gailwin

they make USB 2.0 cards. get one of those because their more useful than firewire. not much stuff you can use with FireWire but almost everything uses USB

OP
B

bob

firewire is alot faster then usb 2.0 and it sends more power

if oyu are planning on buying a new data interface card for your ipod

firewire is your number one choice

and you can use it on dv cams

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PowerMac G5 Dual 2GHz (June 2004), 2.5GB, Airport, black 5G iPod 30GB, white MacBook 2.0 2GB
bob said:

That's simply not true...
as I stated earlier, USB 2.0 is 480Mb/s, Firewire 400 (or IEEE1394a) is 400Mb/s, so slightly slower than USB 2.0. But still pretty fast...
But Firewire does deliver more power than USB, and I also would suggest you to buy a Firewire card, or a Combo-card that has both Firewire and USB 2.0

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G5•2x1.8•1.5•320•8x+/-
Avalon said:
That's simply not true...
as I stated earlier, USB 2.0 is 480Mb/s, Firewire 400 (or IEEE1394a) is 400Mb/s, so slightly slower than USB 2.0. But still pretty fast...
But Firewire does deliver more power than USB, and I also would suggest you to buy a Firewire card, or a Combo-card that has both Firewire and USB 2.0

i love numbers as much as the next guy, but unfortunately those are only theoretical speeds. any data storage or speed comparison test has always ended with firewire winning. the factors i think that make the difference:

firewire is 6-pin (2 for power, 4 for data) - more bus power = more consistency

firewire is 100/200/400mbps vs usb 1.5/12/480 mbps - so if for any reason the device only supports a lower base, firewire will be much faster.

but none of it matters because firewire 800 own3s

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacAddikt said:
i love numbers as much as the next guy, but unfortunately those are only theoretical speeds. any data storage or speed comparison test has always ended with firewire winning. the factors i think that make the difference:

firewire is 6-pin (2 for power, 4 for data) - more bus power = more consistency

firewire is 100/200/400mbps vs usb 1.5/12/480 mbps - so if for any reason the device only supports a lower base, firewire will be much faster.

but none of it matters because firewire 800 own3s

Right, but the initial question concerned the iPod...whicht is not FW800 compliant... ;)

OP
C

ChicoWeb

bob said:

Wrong.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
ChicoWeb said:

Wow, what an explicit answer!!

Anyway, USB 2.0 is a little bit faster than Firewire if it comes to maximum speed (which is rarely achieved) but the average speed of Firewire is definitely faster than USB 2.0

And Firewire definitely sends more power (between 8V and 33V, up to 1.5A) than USB2.0 (5V 0.5A)

Any comment is appreciated, ChicoWeb, but please be a little more specific. "Wrong" or "True" doesn't say much without an explanation behind... ;)

OP
C

ChicoWeb

Avalon said:
Wow, what an explicit answer!!

Anyway, USB 2.0 is a little bit faster than Firewire if it comes to maximum speed (which is rarely achieved) but the average speed of Firewire is definitely faster than USB 2.0

And Firewire definitely sends more power (between 8V and 33V, up to 1.5A) than USB2.0 (5V 0.5A)

Any comment is appreciated, ChicoWeb, but please be a little more specific. "Wrong" or "True" doesn't say much without an explanation behind... ;)

I was referring to the statement made in the quote, that Firewire is faster than USB 2.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.