• This forum is for posting news stories or links from rumor sites. When you start a thread, please include a link to the site you're referencing.

THIS IS NOT A FORUM TO ASK "WHAT IF?" TYPE QUESTIONS.

THIS IS NOT A FORUM FOR ASKING QUESTIONS ABOUT HOW TO USE YOUR MAC OR SOFTWARE.

This is a NEWS and RUMORS forum as the name implies. If your thread is neither of those things, then please find the appropriate forum to ask your question.

If you don't have a link to a news story, do not post the thread here.

If you don't follow these rules, then your post may be deleted.

Time Machine + Macbook + Mybook External HD

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13 inch Macbook Pro Retina, 2.7ghz, 128gb SSD
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 15 inch 1.83. iBook G4.
I would presume that it backs upto your internal hd as standard with an option to back up to an external as not everybody will have external hd.

I am not sure the technicalities of how time machine works but I cant imagine it working like it backs up your whole system and then says eats a % of your hd as after a few weeks/months of hourly backups you would have no hd space.

http://www.apple.com/uk/macosx/leopard/features/timemachine.html

If there is an option to back up to external hd then I would hope that there will be some form of function to the frequency of which it backs up.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 2.2 C2D 4GIG Ram Glossy
I was thinking about this. I would much rather it backed up to my external HD. But if i had to retrieve the data, i would have to have the cable in? hmmmm? I've never had osX not be able to do something i wanted. We shall see.

Oh, does anybody know if i can partition a FreeAgent pro, and if so, use both partitions at the same time? (Firewire)

Cheers.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminum iMac
Won't Time Machine just work like the current Backup software? It schedules backups and if your external HD is not connected it just skips the backup for the time being. I figured Time Machine was Backup without having to pay for a .Mac membership.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Oh, does anybody know if i can partition a FreeAgent pro, and if so, use both partitions at the same time? (Firewire)

Cheers.

Any drive can be partitioned - just realize that the partitioning process will erase everything on the drive.

Once you have it partitioned and when connected to the drive, each partition will show up as a drive in finder and will also be listed on the desktop if you have this preference set.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 2.2 C2D 4GIG Ram Glossy
Cheers for the reply. But do you know if i can read/write from the 2 partitions at the same time. Eg. Save file to partition A while watching movie on partition B of the same Firewire drive.

Ta.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac Core Duo 20", iBook G4, iPhone 8GB :)
^^ Of course. Unless it is a really high bitrate movie, the HD can multitask pretty well.

As for time machine, you can just as well pause the backing up process and resume it when you plug the HD back in. And it does not backup while it is in sleep mode, that is, you can unplug the drive, put the mac to sleep and then five hours later, when you plug it back in, it will continue it's usual process....

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Yep, as goobi stated you can.
Just tried it: watching a movie from my external and transferring a file to it simultaneously, no issue although the transfer was rather small.

I may be just a tad paranoid, I keep a bootable backup on one partition of the external (via SuperDuper!) and all my movies and itumes on the 2nd partition. Others may, but I am not personally willing to take a chance on my back up by trying to run a back up and simultaneously play a movie from the external. Am sure it works just fine, it's just me, would rather schedule the backup for a time when the system is not working on a bunch of other stuff. And this may just be my hold over from prior to C2D processors.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
How about you let Time Machine take care of the backups (after leopard is out), and whatever else you want to store, just dump it on the external. There's no need for making two partitions.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Well, we're yet to know for sure all the ins and outs of exactly how Time Machine works. Does it provide for a bootable back up in case you internal dies or does it just back up your data?

In the case of SuperDuper, if you want a bootable backup and storage space for stuff that is not kept on your internal drive - 2 partitions is necessary. I enjoy having this set up as I know if my internal drive dies, not a big deal, I just re-boot from the external and keep going till I have the chance to replace it. It all depends on your needs and what you're looking to accomplish with an external drive.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Time machine does not back up apps, system files and such. But I'm assuming, that if something goes wrong, while installation, it will automatically copy all your documents and such to make it just as it was minus the apps.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.