CD Drive problems :(

Reaction score
Well i got my Macbook last November, so my warranty is nearly up that's why I wanna get this sorted.

About 3 weeks ago it decided to stop reading / writing to blank dvd's and cds. It wouldn't even read ones that I had already made and worked all along. It just sits spinning and groaning for about a minute then spits them out again.

Occasionally however it will read these discs? like maybe once in every 5 tries. And for some reason certain brands still work okay whereas others won't... I'm a bit confused! And I'm worried that if I have to send the laptop to Mac for repair, the CDs will work fine, as the fault is intermittent!?

Any solutions to my problem??

Thanks , Kyle

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
Sounds like a failed drive to me. Perhaps you can take it to an Apple store and demo it for them, rather than just sending it to a depot. Either way, I would strongly recommend you make a record of this problem with Apple so that it can be covered within the warranty.

rman

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14in MacBook Pro M1 Max 32GB 2TB
I would also think about getting AppleCare before your warantty expires.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.4GHz aluminum unibody, 250 GB HD, 2GB RAM
I'd second that. I've had AppleCare on every Mac I've ever had and it's always paid for itself.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
White Macbook, 1.83 ghz, 512 mb RAM, 60 gb HD
Man, I really wish I would've down this, cause my optical drive decided to stop working just after my computer was out of warranty. Is there anything else I can do at this point now that I'm out of warranty? I don't wanna have to pay $300 just to get a new drive, that's ridiculous.

Reaction score
CD woes and external drive option?

My drive is acting exactly like yours. My warranty expired in July and should have gotten it fixed then. I am thinking about an external drive because of cost and repair time. Some have suggested firewire connections but most are USB. Any suggestions?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.