Turn off Apple logo light

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Lenovo Z560 Hackintosh -:- '06 iMac -:- iPod Touch 2ndGen
No, it's the LCD backlight. The only way would be to use an external monitor or hold F1 to reduce the brightness until the backlight switches off.

OP
DoubleCap
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook 2GHz/2GB/CD
I have an external hooked up and when I dont need the MB screen, I just dim it down all the way - it turns off the logo. But I'd like if it were when I used my laptop on the go :/

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MacBook Pro (Early 2008) 2.4GHz 4GB RAM running 10.5.4
u should be proud of that logo, lol.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
I have an external hooked up and when I dont need the MB screen, I just dim it down all the way - it turns off the logo. But I'd like if it were when I used my laptop on the go :/

The Apple logo is just a piece of opaque, transparent plastic that allows the backlight for the screen to show through. You could open the screen housing and cover it up from the inside, but that would take quite a bit of skill and effort, not to mention that it would likely invalidate your warranty.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs

Like I said, you can't - it's the LCD backlight.

cwa is right, it'll invalid the warranty.

rman

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14in MacBook Pro M1 Max 32GB 2TB
Just do like they do in the commericals, cover it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver MB 2Ghz Core2Duo 2GB RAM
i would never turn it off

OP
DoubleCap
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook 2GHz/2GB/CD
Well, I don't need it to be on - I don't really care for others to "know" that I'm using a MacBook. I rather not cover it up - I just showed the picture to show you guys what part of the laptop I was talking about.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.4GHz aluminum unibody, 250 GB HD, 2GB RAM
There is no "on" to it. It's not like your window is "on" when the sun shines through it, right? Same deal. The apple is a window; the light is from your screen. The only way to "turn it off" is to turn off the screen. Period.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I love that I got negative rep for "taking this seriously".
lol.gif
Like my sig says, the rep system is being abused. We might as well just turn it off.
shrug.gif

Reaction score
There is no "on" to it. It's not like your window is "on" when the sun shines through it, right? Same deal. The apple is a window; the light is from your screen. The only way to "turn it off" is to turn off the screen. Period.

hahaha the "period" is my favorite part. You obviously have never opened up you mac, nor do you know how "screens" work. the apple light is another light in the back, NOT a shine through effect. there is ALWAYS a way to mod your computer the way you want to. you just have to know how to. for this you have to open up the back and disconnect the light. its pretty simple, but it will void your warranty. I did this, not because i didnt like the light, but for the simple reason that it burns the crap out of your battery. i think i got about an extra hour or two by doing this and a couple of other things like making my keyboard clear so that the keyboard lights dont have to be as bright.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
hahaha the "period" is my favorite part. You obviously have never opened up you mac, nor do you know how "screens" work. the apple light is another light in the back, NOT a shine through effect. there is ALWAYS a way to mod your computer the way you want to. you just have to know how to. for this you have to open up the back and disconnect the light. its pretty simple, but it will void your warranty. I did this, not because i didnt like the light, but for the simple reason that it burns the crap out of your battery. i think i got about an extra hour or two by doing this and a couple of other things like making my keyboard clear so that the keyboard lights dont have to be as bright.

First, this thread you resurrected from the dead is 2007. It's long gone and dead. Why did you even answer a thread that old?

Second, you are dead wrong. There is NO LIGHT. It's the light from the back of the LCD. I and many here are Tech and have opened more Mac Notebooks than you have probably seen. There is no light. If you have a Mac with a light that lights your Apple Logo you have a RARE collectors item.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Back to my old 2.2GHz C2D MB after selling my MBP and wondering what my next Mac will be :)
If you have a Mac with a light that lights your Apple Logo you have a RARE collectors item.
Or one of those cheap ebay knock-offs (Fake Mac)!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.