Networking problem, plz help!!!!

Reaction score
Hello everyone,

We have here 3 macs connected to the network, I added the 3rd machine, recently.
The new mac can see and ping the other two but these two can't see the new mac on the network although they can ping it.:|

Can somebody help me, please?
Any suggestions?

Thank you guys!!!!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac Core Duo 20", iBook G4, iPhone 8GB :)
Try connecting to it using the "Connect to server" command. While in finder, hit Command+K and then enter the ip of the other mac.

Or, you can go to the "Sharing" preference pane on your unseen mac, and note down the network name of it. Will be something like bobby-popats-computer.local

Enter that in the connect to server window and save it as a favourite. Now you won't even need to know the ip address of the other.

OP
G
Reaction score
It worked!!!!

It works now,:)

I just entered the network name in the connect to server window, like you suggested and no problems.:) .
However, when I click connect, it doesn't ask me for a password. Well it does but I don't have to write one. I am accessing the mac just by typing the username.

Can you please tell me how can I make this mac password protected?

Thank you very much for your help, goobi!!!!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Do you mean that you have no password on your 'unseen-mac'? If not, then you have to go to system preferences > User accounts > and then select your username and add a password.

If you already have a password on you mac, then I don't know why it's going through straight away...

OP
G
Reaction score
Thank you goobi!!!

Yes, I was talking about the "unseen mac". The mac now have a password.

Thank you very much!!:)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
You are most welcome. :)

Give my regards to the 'unseen mac' ;)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.