Nikon D40 and MacBook

Reaction score
I am a new Mac user and new to the whole world of Digital Photography so my question may seem very elementary but since I don't know I'm asking. I am considering buying a Nikon D40 but I can't figure out if it is compatible with the MacBook. In other words, will I need additional software and anything special to connect the camera to my Macbook or will the USB cable that comes with the camera be enough? Can I connect the camera directly to the Mac or do I need a card reader? Just trying to figure out if getting this camera will be worth it in the long run. Any help is appreciated. Thank you

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iBook G3 - You'll be missed.
You'll just be able to plug it in. OS X will mount the cameras memory card as an external storage device, you can then import what you would like If you want to manage the photos, aperture or adobe bridge will work well as an alternative to iPhoto, assuming you wouldn't want to use iPhoto.

The camera is definitely worth it. :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.16 GHz Intel Imac Core 2 Duo//MacBook 1.83 Core 2 Duo//G5 Power Mac
I have a D70 so I assume your 40 will work the same. My camera connects with the USB cable directly to my machines.

Reaction score
I have the D50 and use a card reader without any problems. You won't be disappointed with the quality of a Nikon DSLR :Smirk: .

Del

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro 2xQuad core 2.8GHZ
As mentioned, a card reader is the way to go!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro: 2.66ghz Dual-Core Intel Xeon, 4gb Ram, ATi X1900 XT 512MB, 1TB HDD, 19" LCD
I have a nikon p5000 and a Cannon d400 but my mac pro wont recognise them if i jsut plug the camera straight into the usb port. i bought a card reader which solved my problems but how comes my mac wont pick them up?

OP
K
Reaction score
I just wanted to come back and thank everyone for their comments. I bought the Nikon D40 and I love this camera. Also, my MacBook picked it up with no problems at all. Thanks everyone.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" intel iMac, 15" MBP, 3 X 13.3" MB (family etc), G4 tower, 12" G4 PowerBook, iBook G4, 20" iMacG5
I have a nikon p5000 and a Cannon d400 but my mac pro wont recognise them if i jsut plug the camera straight into the usb port. i bought a card reader which solved my problems but how comes my mac wont pick them up?

I have the 300d and I know for a fact that Apple doesn't mount the canon as a disk image. If you open up "image capture" it will display the pictures there and from there you can rip them etc.

Alex

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.2GHZ Macbook Pro - 4GB RAM - 500GB HD
My wife has a D50 and a D200 for work and plugs both in with no problem at all.

T

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" 2.1 GHz PPC G5 iMac, 15" 2.2 GHz Intel Macbook Pro
If you can get your hands on Adobe Lightroom, do it. Its awesome, far superior to Aperture.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.