NTFS External HD with 2 partitions not working with mac

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacPro Quad 2.8 w/ 8800GT / Black MacBook 2.16 C2D
I have a 250 GB Maxtor HD with 2 NTFS partitions mounted in a external USB enclosure that is not being recognized correctly by my Macbook C2D. When I plug in the USB cable, I get I box that says the disk is not readable. Disk Utility sees the drive as a Maxtor 2 TB (wrong) and unformated. I have installed the latest version of Paragon, and nothing happens. I no longer have a windows system, as this drive and another where salvaged from it. (the other drive had windows on it, but it is already reformated and filled with stuff). The other drive, also a maxtor, was recognized properly, and I could see the old files before I wiped it clean. The only difference seems to be the partitions. Does any one know How I can get to my data? I don't have access to a windows machine, except an old 98 box that won't recognize NTFS.

Any Ideas?

OP
C
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
So, No one has any suggestions?
<sigh>

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac Core Duo 20", iBook G4, iPhone 8GB :)
I had this problem with an external drive but that was when it had gone kaput... sure it works on a windows system? Paragon has nothing to do with this. NTFS drives mount normally, only thing is you can't write to them.

Did you get that "initialize disk" thing after plugging the drive in?

OP
C
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Yes, it asked me to initialize, ignore or eject. The drive was working fine in my win2k system, then I removed both drives. I reformated the drive the OS was on before making sure I could access the data on the second drive. Oops!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I don't get you. By two "Drives" you mean two "Partitions" right? I think you might have damaged the partition table while reformatting the 'OS parition' which is why you can't access the second one. I suggest you try the external again on a windows system and if it does work, then save the data...

OP
C
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Let me clarify. I have two physical drives. Drive A held the OS (win2k) on a single partition, Drive B was just for media storage and had two partitions.

Drive A was reformatted. Drive B is not accessible.

My Mac cannot see either partition of Drive B.
It sees Drive B (a 250GB Maxtor) as a 2TB Maxtor in Disk Utility.

OP
C
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
OK, scratch it... I figured it out!

Incorrect jumper settings.
Seems it worked fine for three years in my windows machine with an incorrect jumper setting.:Oops:
Both partitions popped right up.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Glad you got that figured out :). It happens sometimes. Sometimes two drives set to 'slave' work just fine on a single IDE channel. But you replace one drive with another slave and it doesn't work! :)

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
OK, scratch it... I figured it out!

Incorrect jumper settings.
Seems it worked fine for three years in my windows machine with an incorrect jumper setting.:Oops:
Both partitions popped right up.

Some machines will work with some jumper settings and others will not. Also you are using an external Enclosure and that might be picky. If you had it set to Cable Select that might cause issues in a Drive case. Glad you got it working.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.