Help with cloning my system disk.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" Macbook 2.0GHz, Airport Extreme, 3G iPod Nano
I'm about to upgrade my HDD in my macbook from 80GB to 160GB.

I want to clone my system so that I can install the new HDD, install the cloned image, and be on my merry way.

Can Disk Utility do this, or do I need Carbon Copy Cloner or SuperDuper?

Thanks

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Performa 6116 2GBSCSI 8MB OS 7.5.3
DU can,... but CCC is better. I have yet to use SuperDuper.

Reaction score
I am new to the Mac but I tried both CCC and SuperDuper! Both are quite nice, but in the end I decided to go with SD. Its Super Easy to work with and support is excellent. Good luck

I'm about to upgrade my HDD in my macbook from 80GB to 160GB.

I want to clone my system so that I can install the new HDD, install the cloned image, and be on my merry way.

Can Disk Utility do this, or do I need Carbon Copy Cloner or SuperDuper?

Thanks

OP
vicariousgeorge
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Here is my plan (let me know if this will work):

I purchased a 160GB portable HDD to replace the 80GB drive in my macbook. It is a seagate external that has the 2.5" 5200.3 SATA drive in it. I intend on removing the HDD from the enclosure and swapping it with my 80GB. But before I do that, I need to transfer my OS.

I downloaded SuperDuper and created a bootable clone on the 160GB external. I intend to remove the 80GB drive from the macbook, and replace it with the 160GB when I remove it from the enclosure. Now, since I've already cloned the OS on this 160GB drive, will it start right up and work like normal when I turn the macbook on? Or is there something else I need to do?

I also plan on placing the 80GB original macbook drive in the enclosure and using it as an external.

Thanks in advance.

OP
vicariousgeorge
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I just finished the swap and everything worked perfectly!!!
(firefox even asked me if I wanted to restore session since I shut down the computer without closing the application before I performed the surgery)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.