Touch with WiFi

kao

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 15", 2.2GHz, 2GB RAM, 120GB HDD, NVIDIA 8600M GT 128MB
Has anyone had any problems using the iPod Touch when the wireless network is WPA-PSK & WPA2-PSK? I can;t connect to my home network at all yet I can connect to the WiFi at work and my friends WEP network.

I just get the "Unable to join the network <name>" error.

I did change my network to use WPA, WEP, and even just open but still couldn't connect (same error).

The Wireless AP is a Netgear WPN802 v2, I've never had any other problems with laptops etc using this AP.

Thanks.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.2GHZ Macbook Pro - 4GB RAM - 500GB HD
I couldn't get mine to work consistently with my Microsoft wireless router. I went out and bought an Airport Express and it has stayed connected ever since...

T

OP
K

kao

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
No way I'm buying an Airport, I love my Router, I just have an Access point coming off the switch in my room (router is downstairs).

Slightly annoying that it might just not like netgear access points but I'll live wihtout WiFi on the iPod in my house if that's the case, I have this MacBook Pro anyway =p

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G
Have you tried resetting the network information on the iPod and then trying to connect again?

I've found that any variation of WPA works far better than WEP.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.2GHZ Macbook Pro - 4GB RAM - 500GB HD
No way I'm buying an Airport, I love my Router, I just have an Access point coming off the switch in my room (router is downstairs).

Slightly annoying that it might just not like netgear access points but I'll live wihtout WiFi on the iPod in my house if that's the case, I have this MacBook Pro anyway =p

I loved mine too.

The Airport Express is SO much nicer. I've got a cable running from it to my stereo and I can stream my iTunes library through my stereo. Good stuff.

T

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
i dont have no mac's
can you alter your encryption methods to one that might be more itouch friendly??
-chris

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
itouch
im having problems connecting with my universities wifi also. connects at home, but not at school. i pick up the signal, shows me connected but i get the "cannot find server" message

OP
K

kao

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Even using no encryption and having an open network, the Touch can't connect. I guess they've managed to make a device that doesn't like my access point or netgears in general.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook, Black, 2.0GHz C2D, 2GB RAMs, 160GB HD
Hey Kao.

I have the Netgear Router/WiFi access point at home. I use it just fine with my iTouch and it works like a charm.

Try resetting the router and like Kash said, reset the Network Setting on the Touch that might give it a jump start.

Cheers

OP
K

kao

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Have tried both of those, still doesn't work.

Reaction score
WNR834B v2 pro problems with WPA2-PSK and ipod Touch WiFi

We have WPA2-PSK with WPA2-PSK and ipod Touch WiFi connection is unreliable. We choose open network and it works like a charm.

Reaction score
I have WPA-PSK and cannot connect my new iPod Touch. I tried changing to WPA-Open and was able to connect, but not get to the Internet with Safari. I don't know how to change the iPod network settings? Or to what?

Reaction score
Wow! Didn't realize how much trouble this would be.

I can't get my daughter's new iPod Touch to join my wireless network either.

But, it joins my neighbors open network every time she is in range.

If I set the wireless encryption to "none" or WEP 128bit - I can establish a wireless link. Nothing else works: WPA-PSK, WPA2-PSK or WPA2-Mixed. i don't have a RADIUS server setup, so I can't try WPA or WPA2.

But, I even with none or WEP, I don't get an IP address. Eventually, it times out, and it displays a bogus IP (169.254.114.178) and there is no access to the Internet.

My DHCP server is not the router - it is a Win2k3 server on a different network. The logs don't show the iPod making a DHCP request. My wireless access-point is set to forward DHCP requests to my main router, and then to the DHCP server.

So, my guess is the iPod isn't setup for standard DHCP arp.

And, if I set the iPod for a static IP, it still doesn't work. So, something odd is happening.

Reaction score
I also suffer from this problem with the touch - at first sight it appears to be random whether your Touch will connect.

I have read all sorts of theories of why this is but none of them have worked for me.

So I now offer another theory.

That the problem relates to the contents (or lack of) of the Search Domains box.

To add substance to the theory I attach below details of some testing I did today:

"I have had a feeling that the problem lay in the DNS area, so this morning did some "field" testing!

I walked down the main street of our suburb monitoring the Touch to see when it gained contact with an non-secured wifi network.

I found 4 and I connected with each with very good access speed.

However, the one difference between my hifi network settings and these networks was the content of the "Search Domains" box under the DHCP section of the IP Address.

Entries in the field would be, for example, "Belkin" or "Netgear" and other such names (not ip numbers). For my network the box is empty.

I am now trying to identify what should be in the Search Domains box, and how to get my router to put it there?

Is it the use of Dynamic DNS? What are the implications if you have a static IP address?

Of course I could be totally wrong, but it seems worth investigating.

Can you try the "field" test I carried out? And post your results?

Do you know what should be in the Search Domains box and the changes that would have to be made in a router?

Any ideas would be very much appreciated.

Don

Reaction score
Tonight I have implemented a new modem/router (which I was planning to do anyway), a Netgear DG834G Ver 5.

And my Touch is now connecting beautifully to my new wi-fi network, and, guess what, the "Search Domain" field in the Touch has an entry in it!

The entry is "Exetel" which is the name of my ISP.

I don't know why it is there so cannot advise how to fix your problems but I would certainly think it is worth your while to talk to your ISP about this setting.

Good luck.

Don

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.