Is it possible to buy a MBP without RAM?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PowerBook G4 17" 1.67 GHz 1.5 GB RAM 100GB 60GB 5G iPod
I might buy a new laptop but I was wondering something. I would like 4GB RAM, but comparing Apple's preinstalled prices to Crucial's DIY prices, I saw Crucial was $300 cheaper. I would like to buy one, without the preinstalled 2GB and just install the 4GB myself. Is that possible? Thanks for your input.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
The only problem with what you want to do is Apple does not sell computers without RAM installed. Just get an MBP with the lowest amount of RAM they provide and then do your Crucial upgrade. I am sure you will never find a brand new MBP without any RAM.

You can always try to sell off the Apple installed RAM here or on ebay.

OP
C
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PowerBook G4 17" 1.67 GHz 1.5 GB RAM 100GB 60GB 5G iPod
So I would be selling 2x1 GB RAM... Thank you for your help. I never want to make a mistake with a big purchase like this!

Reaction score
When I spoke to Apple this past week, inquiring about the MBP, I asked about Apple RAM vs. Crucial. They told me that if I added the RAM through Crucial, it would void the AppleCare warranty. Has anyone else been told this? What shocked me was that when I inquired about RAM in the Apple store, one of the sales reps actually suggested I upgrade my RAM through Crucial rather than Apple bc it would be 1/2 the price.

Does anyone have information that agrees with this or to the contrary?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15in i7 MacBook Pro, 8GB RAM, 120GB SSD, 500GB HD
Applecare on the computer isn't voided, it will still cover the computer, what it won't cover is the 3rd party RAM you install. If you buy from Apple and have them install it, then it is covered by Applecare.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" Matte, Macbook Pro 2.2 gHz, 2 GB Ram, 120GB HDD
yeah, just make sure you have replaced the RAM before you turn the machine on for the first time. That way, you can sell Mac's RAM as never-used!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.