Deleting Locked Files *HELP*

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Black 2.16GHz Intel Core 2 Duo 1GB DDR2 SDRAM 160GB HD
I am the administrator of my computer and I installed the program "safe eyes"(http://www.internetsafety.com/safe-eyes/) to protect my kids from the wonders of the internet, but now it is blocking every single webpage (I'm posting from another computer). I can't even go to Google. I used AppZapper to delete it, but it didn't get all the files. I found some hidden folders under Mac HD-System-Library-Start up items. But they are locked and there is no way to delete them. Does anyone know how I can get rid of these files?? And Get info-unlock folder does not work.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac's
Can you drag the folders/files to the trash, and THEN they can't be deleted?? Or are the folders/files "locked" in place?

OP
J
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
No I cannot drag them to the trash.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac's
Have you tried Right-Click, select "Move to Trash"... then Authenticate???

I can give you a Terminal command to remove the file... What is the EXACT (EXACT, EXACT, EXACT) file path????

For example: /System/Library/StartupItems/NAMEOFTHEFOLDERTOREMOVED/

OP
J
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac HD/System/Library/StartupItems/SafeEyes

OP
J
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I did manage to get on to the internet now by disabling the folder actions.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac's
Ok... If you want to get rid of the file... COPY/PASTE the following command into the Terminal:

sudo rm -rf /System/Library/StartupItems/SafeEyes/
Press Enter.
You'll be prompted for your password.
Type your password (you won't be able to see it as you type it)
Press Enter.

The file should now be gone!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17 inch 2 GHz C2D imac (5,1) with 3GB DDR2 RAM, X1600 (128MB memory) GPU - OSX 10.6.3
This non terminal method might just work also using this app called "Xray".

http://www.brockerhoff.net/xray/

With it you can lock/unlock and invisible/visible almost any file. It might work for you.

(not to be confused with the Leopard debugging app with the same name)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook black, Intel C2D 2GHz, 2GB RAM, 320GB WD Scorpio HD
I am the administrator of my computer and I installed the program "safe eyes"(http://www.internetsafety.com/safe-eyes/) to protect my kids from the wonders of the internet, but now it is blocking every single webpage (I'm posting from another computer). I can't even go to Google. I used AppZapper to delete it, but it didn't get all the files. I found some hidden folders under Mac HD-System-Library-Start up items. But they are locked and there is no way to delete them. Does anyone know how I can get rid of these files?? And Get info-unlock folder does not work.

Deleting locked files
Locked files can easily be deleted if you press Shift-Option or Option key combination while emptying the Trash (in Mac OS X 10.1 and later). For Mac OS X versions 10.0 to 10.0.4, use Show Info to deselect the item's Locked checkbox.

If you still cannot delete the item, start up your computer from the Mac OS X CD-ROM and choose Disk Utility from the Installer menu of the first screen. Use Disk Utility to verify and, if necessary, repair your disk.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.