screen resolution for external displays

Reaction score
I have an iBook G4, 12 inch with 1024 x 768 resolution. I'm tired of the screen size and I want to purchase a bigger monitor to plug it into. Viewsonic, Apple cinema display, whatever. My question is this: In the system preferences the max resolution is 1024 x 768. If I plug this computer into a bigger monitor, is 1024 x 768 the biggest resolution I can use? Even with a bigger screen?

Thanks for any advice...

OP
K
Reaction score
Screen resolution for external cinema display

If I connect an external monitor to my Macbook pro, can I run the monitor at a higher resolution than the highest resolution for the 15 inch Mac Book screen.? In other words, my MacBook Pro's 15inch screem has a 1440 x 990 max resolution. An apple cinema display has way more capability than that. Can I run the cinema display with this machine at something higher than 1440 x 990?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook
The resolution depends on what the external display can handle. It won't matter what the limitation is for the notebook.

For the iBook G4, you will have to download a hack to get it to span the display which will then allow you to change the resolution for the external display, otherwise it is locked at 1024x768 in mirrored mode.

OP
K
Reaction score
The resolution depends on what the external display can handle. It won't matter what the limitation is for the notebook.

For the iBook G4, you will have to download a hack to get it to span the display which will then allow you to change the resolution for the external display, otherwise it is locked at 1024x768 in mirrored mode.

Does this hacked work without messing up the computer. I mean, is it safe?? Or, how safe?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.