external HD problems

Reaction score
i just bought an external HD 160 G's usb2 for my imac. there supposed to be an icon on my desk top telling me it is connected but there is no icon. in the manual it says that a blue light on the HD tells you that there is power running through it but it cannot read infomation, data files etc. there is a blue light. it isn't powered by an external powersource but from the imac itself.

something about formatting? does that make sense to you? please help

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
i just bought an external HD 160 G's usb2 for my imac. there supposed to be an icon on my desk top telling me it is connected but there is no icon. in the manual it says that a blue light on the HD tells you that there is power running through it but it cannot read infomation, data files etc. there is a blue light. it isn't powered by an external powersource but from the imac itself.

something about formatting? does that make sense to you? please help

Yes, you will need to format the hard disk if it doesn't come formatted for Mac from the factory. You can do this by opening Disk Utility (Applications => Utilities folder), selecting the Hard Disk from the list and then clicking the Erase tab and choosing a format (I would recommend "Mac OS Extended - Journaled" if you're only using the drive with a Mac, choose "MS-DOS" if you're sharing with a Windows machines). Then click Erase.

OP
V
Reaction score
hi

thanx for advice but theres a problem. the volume format drop down menu is blanked out. any more advice will be appreciated

cheers

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
macbook 2.16ghz,2 gigs ram, 120gigs--ipod nano red 4 gig--ipod vid 30 gig black-- rip macbook
is it a windows ony hd?

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
hi

thanx for advice but theres a problem. the volume format drop down menu is blanked out. any more advice will be appreciated

cheers

Make sure you have the drive selected in the left window pane.

This article should give you a more thorough explanation of the process.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.