Random Beeping noise

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook 2GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 4 Gb Ram, 320Gb HDD OSX 10.7.5
Hey all,

I've had my macbook since January, and today it has started bleep randomly, sometimes quite faintly, other times, rather loudly. It does it with no sense of frequency which makes it hard to figure what it is. It beeps faintly when waking from sleep (even when battery has been removed), so i assume it must be either the Motherboard or the Harddrive(thought listening, it sounds to come nearer the hinge for the screen). Has anyone else experienced this problem and if so how did you fix it?

F

Fallooza

man another guy had this problem with his Mac Pro. he found out it wasnt his mac at all. it was his wifes phone. are you sure its your mac beepin?

OP
niall
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
yes, i noticed it yesterday when my phone was in another room. It's still bleeping, and the noise is deffinitely coming from the laptop!

F

Fallooza

yes, i noticed it yesterday when my phone was in another room. It's still bleeping, and the noise is deffinitely coming from the laptop!

the lappy still beeps if you take it in another room?

OP
niall
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
yeh it is.

I tried the following last night:
running on battery: still bleeps
Removing battery: still bleeps
disabling wifi/bluetooth: still bleeps
updating all firmware: still bleeps
removing and reinserting ram still bleeps

The sound is deffinitely coming from the rear of the computer.

F

Fallooza

...other than that im no help. if you find out it was something else, remember, i told ya so;D

OP
niall
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
heh, will do!

I've read someplaces that it *could* be a sign of the HDD failing. I have an appointment at the apple store in Glasgow tomorrow, so i'll hopefully find out then.

OP
niall
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
it was the harddrive, so Apple replaced it as it was under warranty, and at the same time replaced the keyboard+ cover. woo :D

Reaction score
I just bought my MBP yesterday and it has a really "bop" sound. I have the volume muted and phones turned off. Is this the sound that yours was making?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" 2.2GHz Santa Rosa Macbook Pro - 4GB Ram - 120GB HD OS X Leopard - Windows XP
yea that sometimes happens with me.
I believe it is the speakers

Reaction score
Prettyinpunk,

Thank you for your reply. I am running Leopard. Yesterday I swapped my first Macbook Pro for another one. When I got the new one home I noticed that it did not have Leopard installed on it, the installation disk was in the package so I installed it.

The new Macbook makes the same noise but not as often as the one I took back. I am new to Mac's, do they have an internal speaker around the hard drive area? Other than the strange, random noise, everything seems to be running perfect.

I did buy a 500 gig. external back-up drive yesterday just in case. I will be doing a lot of photo editing and I would hate to lose my work. Just cant afford to lose those memories.

Thank you for your time and replies.

Sincerely,

Jeff

M

MacHeadCase

Hey, Jefflesh! Welcome to Mac-Forums.

Just to be clear on which OS X version you're running... Did you install the latest version of Leopard, 10.5.1?

I know that that update fixed a few problems. Launch Software Update to make sure you have all the latest updates installed, see if the problem persists.

Reaction score
I'm having what appears to be the same problem. It stared about 2 days ago.. I get a random beep from my iMac about once every 45 min to an hour.

Its been driving me nuts... no matter what programs I have running, it still does it. Even when I close all apps, and put the computer to sleep, it still continues on throughout the night.

I've got the latest gen iMac 20, running Leopard. Unfortunatly the nearest Mac store is a couple of thousand miles away...

Reaction score
MacHeadCase,

Thanks for your post. I am running OS X 10.5.1, I have not heard the beeping today but there is a lot of noise going on in the house today. I will try to keep an ear out for the beep to see if it goes away.

Jenzerelli,

That would drive me nuts too. Does it still beep if you turn it off? My Mac beeps much more often then once every 45min. At worst, mine was once every minute.

Thank you both for your time and help.

Sincerely,

Jeff

Reaction score
I'm having what appears to be the same problem. It stared about 2 days ago.. I get a random beep from my iMac about once every 45 min to an hour.

This has been happening to me too. Just over the last couple of days. I bought my Macbook at the beginning of the year. The beeping is really starting to drive me mad. It's also a random beep, sometimes happening every few seconds for a while and then I may not hear it for a couple of hours. Please tell me there's a possible cause other than the hard drive! I use Photoshop a lot and have a lot of images on the computer... and I haven't resorted to downloading to disc as yet.

Would be grateful for any info/insight into what it may be. I live nowhere near an Apple store either.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM MacBook, 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
Has anyone ever tried calling Apple, or some kind of tech store/talking to a tech savvy friend?

I got my MB three months ago, no problems. It works just fine!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Unibody MacBook Pro 2.26, 4gb RAM, 500gb HD
My MB makes an odd bleeping noise from time to time which is caused by Microsoft Entourage. I have Entourage set to check my email once a minute. When there are no emails to be downloaded, it only takes a second. However, on occasion it downloads an email with a large attachment which take more than one minute to download. Every minute it checks for new emails, but if it is already downloading a large email from the minute before and hasn't finished yet, then it bleeps and logs an error.

It seems that it can't check for new messages if it is busy in the process of downloading an old one. This temporarily causes an error until the large message is fully downloaded.

It's not really an issue, because it only happens occasionally and the error goes away as soon as the message downloads.

Reaction score
Has anyone ever tried calling Apple, or some kind of tech store/talking to a tech savvy friend?!

I haven't yet as there is no Apple store in my country. You can hear the type of beep on this youtube vid: YouTube - Macbook beeping

I don't have Microsoft Entourage either, so that isn't it. I guess I'll see if I can contact Apple online... provided my hard drive lasts that long! Thanks for your responses.

Reaction score
I found that Plurk had added a new beep to their updates bar and it was producing the random beeping on my MBP. Check that if you use Plurk at all. if not, feel free to ignore my ramble.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.