New Mac Owner Here...

Reaction score
And I have a few questions and I thought I could ask here and hopefully someone could be able to help.
Or atleast direct me to somewhere where I could get help.

So, my questions are...

Does AIM not work well with OS X? Cause it does not seem to be connecting.

And, I am on a secure wireless network in my house, and for some reason FireFox is not working either.
I will download it, and then click on the icon it leaves on my desktop but nothing with show up.

Any help?

OP
J
Reaction score
Okay, I got AIM to work.

But FireFox is still a no-go.

I am downloading it, installing it, and putting it into my dock.
But every time I try to open it nothing happens.
=[

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Studio, M1 Max, 32 GB RAM, 2 TB SSD
iChat is compatible with AIM, so that may be the best answer of all. Try it out. You can use iChat to log in to your AIM account. I do it occasionally and it seems to work well.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.2GHZ Macbook Pro - 4GB RAM - 500GB HD
Make sure you drag firefox into your applications folder and then drag it to the dock from there. That will install it first. Otherwise you'll click the icon and nothing will happen.

T

OP
J
Reaction score
Yeah, my friend told me about iChat.
It is really good... thanks!

And, mac747, I did what you said, but it still isn't working.

When it opens up on my computer it shows this little screen with a "Firefox -> move -> Applications" in graphic form.
And then it says "Zero KB available"... so, am I not correctly downloading it?

I'm sorry for the trouble I'm causing and I greatly appreciate you guy's help.
I just don't like Safari.
=/

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac Core i5(3.6 GHz) 8 GB RAM, MBP C2Duo(2.4 GHz) 4 GB RAM, MB C2Duo(2.4 GHz) 2 GB RAM
you have to take the firefox icon, open your finder, and drag the firefox icon into the application tab of the finder, then it will fully install. Then eject the firefox disk image.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
To install most any app on your Mac

What you will download from the internet for most Mac apps will be a .dmg file.

When you open the .dmg, you will see two things - a new icon on the desktop that looks like a hard drive and a window with the application in it.
Some apps, like firefox will have an icon for itself and an icon for the Applications folder within that window. Just drag the firefox icon onto the applications folder within that window and it will then install.

Many apps will not have the Applications folder within that window. For those, you will need to open Finder and move it so that you can see both windows. Then drag the icon for the app from it's window and drop it onto the Applications folder in the finder window. It will then install.

Once you have done this - close the window(s) - right click (or ctrl-click) on the icon that looks like a hard drive and select 'eject XYZ app'.

The app is now in your Applications folder, with access by opening finder and navigating to the Applications folder. This is the one you will want to drag n drop to the dock if you wish.

You can also place an icon for your Applications folder on the dock by drag n drop onto the right hand side of the dock. This will give you right click access to a menu of your applications without the need for opening the finder.

Once you have installed the app - you can delete the .dmg or move it to an appropriate folder to keep you desktop clean.

Was just at the kids house yesterday, he got his Mac almost a year ago and found out he didn't know how to install apps either. If you have done as he did, drag n drop the .dmg to the applications folder - you can delete that.

For those that have the habit of downloading a lot of junk, you may wish to: In my home folder, I have created a folder called Desktop Stuff and another called Screeshots. Have changed my default downloads to be saved to Desktop stuff and naturally screenshots to the screenshots folder. Easy way to keep track of all the junk and maintain an uncluttered desktop.

OP
J
Reaction score
Huh...

I did what you guys said.
But it's still not working...

Is there something I need to change with my system preferences?

OP
J
Reaction score
Yeah, I am pretty sure I am downloading the right version.

It says that it's compatible with 2.0.0.7 Mac OS X on the download button.
So, I assumed that it was the correct version.
I may be wrong, though.

OP
J
Reaction score
New Mac Owner... Again.

So, FireFox is still not working for me?
Any help at all?

And, QuickTime for some reason is being weird, as well.
It's just not playing.

But, the DVD is going to play on the standard DVD player that the Mac has.
But, whenever I put in a DVD (I just tried to put in Planet Terror) it gives me this "There was an initialization error. Error: -5000".

What does that mean?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
See Sig...
Is this a new system or is it a used on that you bought from someone?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
24" iMac 2.8 GHZ/2GB/320GB/Leopard
Okay, I got AIM to work.

But FireFox is still a no-go.

I am downloading it, installing it, and putting it into my dock.
But every time I try to open it nothing happens.
=[

Go to finder and than applications and acess firefox from there than save it to dock. For some reason firefox does not open right otherwise...works fine now...

Reaction score
Here's a Firefox-install graphic. After it's installed, you can drag Firefox from the apps folder to the dock, and trash whatever's left of it — the various installer stuff — on the desktop.

If you already have a Firefox icon in the dock, kill it, because it's a shortcut to the installer version, not the app in the apps folder.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.