Watch tv on my imac

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
24" 2.8ghz IMAC, MB Pro
My old system used a dell monitor with component inputs so I could watch the signal from my dish network receiver in a window while I worked on the computer. This was handy since I can't really see the tv where my computer is.

With my new IMAC I no longer have these inputs. Is there anyway I can take the component cables I split from the back of my dish receiver to a input device for my imac? All the EyeTV products seem to be limited to coax, svideo, or rca inputs. I don't need to record video. Just watch the signal in a window while I work so the wife and I can watch the same program together at times that I can't be on the couch.

Any ideas?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 5.1 | iMac 7.1 | iMac 12.1 | iMac 19.1 | iPhone 11 Pro | Watch s5
Aren't component and RCA the same thing?

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Aren't component and RCA the same thing?

RCA jack (or plug, etc.) is actually the connector on the end of the cable.
And while component cables use RCA plugs, you would not be handed a set of component cables from an electronics source if you asked for an RCA video cable. Pre s-video was the composite cable which also uses RCA plugs and was also referred to as an RCA video cable by many.

My old system used a dell monitor with component inputs so I could watch the signal from my dish network receiver in a window while I worked on the computer. This was handy since I can't really see the tv where my computer is.

With my new IMAC I no longer have these inputs. Is there anyway I can take the component cables I split from the back of my dish receiver to a input device for my imac? All the EyeTV products seem to be limited to coax, svideo, or rca inputs. I don't need to record video. Just watch the signal in a window while I work so the wife and I can watch the same program together at times that I can't be on the couch.

Any ideas?

At this time there is not a way to connect either a component nor HDMI cable to a computer. The movie industry has used their long arm to make sure we cannot get an external Hi-def signal into our computers, except via over-the-air TV signals. Some companies (primarily Dell) have produced monitors with inputs for additional sources other than your computer. But, there are no video cards manufactured that accept anything other than s-video and composite.

Unfortunately, the iMac does not provide additional inputs on the monitor to be able to view other video sources. Any source must go through the computer. Am pretty sure whichever model dish receiver you have also has a coax, s-video and/or composite output connections available. One of these is what you must use to get the signal from the receiver onto your iMac screen. And of course, it will not be in HD, which should not be an issue since you are only wanting to watch it in a window while working at your computer anyway.

Have personally had DirecTV and currently a Dish receiver connected via s-video to my computer for about 7 years now and it does provide an adequate picture for watching TV in a window.

If you are indeed planning on running this to another room, you will need verify the distance of cable you need - coax may be your only option depending upon the distance. The $5 a month for a 2nd receiver at your computer location may be better than trying to run cable.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 15", 2.66GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 4GB RAM, OS X 10.8.2, iPad 1, 80gb iPod, ATV 1, iPhone 5
OP
T
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
24" 2.8ghz IMAC, MB Pro
The slingbox solo is probably the best bet for the specific goal I have. 4175 to get there though hurts. Will have to consider it :)

thanks all for your suggestions and yes, when I said RCA I meant composite. I just tryed to avoid using the terms composite and component in the same sentence so as not to confuse anyone. RCA is generally considered a slang for composite so I thought it would be more understood :)

Also my Mac is only about 7 feet away from my TV. It is just 7 feet to the side unfortunatly and I would rather not have to drag the desk to the couch every evening like I am currently doing.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.