Screen Handling

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" Macbook C2D 1GB RAM
I'm a new MB user and I do my best to take care of all my stuff, especially my new MB. I've read the threads on numerous forums about screens cracking and from most of the threads, people are just mistreating their equipment. In some cases, users have said they picked up their laptop by holding the screen when it is open. I saw another person say they closed their lid by pressing down on a corner of the lid/screen.

I'm treating my Macbook basically the same as my old Dell laptop. If I need to move it when it's open or closed, I pick it up by the base and use two hands to take it where I need it.

When I open and close the lid, I always do so by the center. Sometimes I get a little nervous when opening it because I have to apply enough pressure to split the magnets so I generally use enough pressure to get it apart, and then proceed to open it at a moderate pace so I don't apply too much force to anything.

I know this isn't rocket science, but can any of the more experienced MB users let me know if I'm doing anything wrong? I'm just hoping that future switchers can get a sense of what's good and what's bad so they can handle their MBs properly. Thanks!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver MB 2Ghz Core2Duo 2GB RAM
u can close your macbook any way u want, I close mine pretty hard sometimes which wont do anything
but when carrying it around, its not a good idea carrying it around when its open because the hard drive is spinning, I always carry mine around when it is asleep

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.4GHz aluminum unibody, 250 GB HD, 2GB RAM
You're doing fine. In the long run, your MacBook will appreciate the care. As to carrying it while it's open, the sudden motion detection makes that somewhat of a moot point anyway, so have at it.

Reaction score
Also..This may come as an obvious, but keep it in a clean space! I can't tell you how many times I've left it on a low rising desk to find one of my dogs has dragged across the table and gotten hair all over my MacBook. Something like this getting into the CD drive can be very bad.

OP
K
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" Macbook C2D 1GB RAM
Thanks, everyone! I appreciate the input.

What is the purpose of motion detection? I saw something about using the motion detection to turn your MB into a light saber. I thought it was cool at first and then I saw two guys on YouTube swinging their MBs around. No thanks!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac's
Thanks, everyone! I appreciate the input.

What is the purpose of motion detection? I saw something about using the motion detection to turn your MB into a light saber. I thought it was cool at first and then I saw two guys on YouTube swinging their MBs around. No thanks!

The motion sensor senses sudden movement, and the stop the HD, to prevent against damage to the HD in the event of a fall or bump.

Link: http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=300781

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Lenovo Z560 Hackintosh -:- '06 iMac -:- iPod Touch 2ndGen
I'm a new MB user and I do my best to take care of all my stuff, especially my new MB. I've read the threads on numerous forums about screens cracking and from most of the threads, people are just mistreating their equipment. In some cases, users have said they picked up their laptop by holding the screen when it is open. I saw another person say they closed their lid by pressing down on a corner of the lid/screen.

Exactly. Good post. If you look after it it's less likely to break. They're not made of granite.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.