memory for mac mini and macbook

Reaction score
I have a first gen macbook that I have maxed out the mem to 2 gigs. I also have a intel mac mini that I only have the standard 512mb. I use them both and the mac mini just needs more mem but cash is tight. how much performance would I loose if I took out a gig of ram in my mac book and put it into my mini. I could take out one of the sticks of ram int he mini and have 1.25 gigs of ram in both. Or should I stick to having matched pairs in both computers and suck it up and buy more ram for the mini?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" intel iMac, 15" MBP, 3 X 13.3" MB (family etc), G4 tower, 12" G4 PowerBook, iBook G4, 20" iMacG5
Just spent the $60 and get 2GB in both. If you really can't do that, then 1.25GB in both will be fine given that you will be using the Mini a lot. You will lose significantly noticable performance on the MB, especially when looking at loading simple things up, speed etc, but its much better than 512MB.

But if I were you, I'd max the memory out. Its the first thing I do with a mac that I get in. All my Macs have at least 2GB. (bar the really old incapable models :p)

Alex

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.