Old iMac or New iMac?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook 1.83Ghz Core 2 Duo, 1GB ram, 160GB HD. iMac 20" 2Ghz Core 2 Duo Aluminum, 2GB ram, 250GB HD
Hi,

I am about to spend £799 on the new aluminum and glass iMac this week, However.......

I seen a seller on eBay selling the previous model iMac for about £175 cheaper than the new one. The problem is I cannot decide which one to buy. I know i'd save alot of money if I bought the old model on eBay.

The old iMac on eBay is 9 months old and a Core 2 Duo 2.16GHZ with 1GB memory and 250GB hard drive.

The new iMac is 2GHZ (which is not as fast as 2.16GHZ) Core 2 Duo with 1GB memory and 250GB hard drive.

Both have 20" display with superdrive.

Which model should I buy?

Please advise

Artmuzz

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
mommy's boy iMac 20"
Hi!
I've done some research. If I could, I think I would buy the previous model, but brand new. I like the monitor desigh more (white with matte screen). There are some on Ebay, but I'm afraid to buy them. Our stores still have the old model, but it is with French software (which is ok worth me, but not ok with my husband). and these comps are cheaper than the new ones.
The reason I'm afraid to buy off eBay is really silly - it's an expensive purchase and I'm just too much of a chicken.
but, I would definetely not buy a used computer, unless you are really good at fixing things. I'm not:-(

OP
A
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook 1.83Ghz Core 2 Duo, 1GB ram, 160GB HD. iMac 20" 2Ghz Core 2 Duo Aluminum, 2GB ram, 250GB HD
Thanks for the reply.

I am a bit scared about buying secondhand computers on eBay too because I have been conned before on eBay.

One thing I have thought about is that if I bought the previous model secondhand on eBay I don't have the 1 year guarantee incase it broke down plus I don't get the faster FSB and firewire800 even though the processor is faster than on the brand new model.

I know that the secondhand previous model iMac is alot cheaper than the brand new model but I would have peace of mind by simply aving the guarantee incase it broke down as I hear its common on iMacs.

Is there much difference between 2GHz and 2.16GHz? Please advise.

Artmuzz

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
mommy's boy iMac 20"
As far as I know there isn't. It's just a .16.... My friend has only 1.5 on his, and he says he doesn't see any difference between his comp and a new 2Gz one he has in the office.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Al iMac 20" 2.4Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo
Buy the new. When it's time to sell it, you'll get more for your aluminium. Probably more than the £175 you're saving now.

Plus, if you buy in a couple of weeks, you'll get Leopard which will save you another £90.

even though the processor is faster than on the brand new model.

The new Mac runs on a higher bus speed, so the new processor will still be faster because the whole architecture is faster. Think of a faster bus speed as being like having an extra lane on the motorway. Even if you have a Ferrari, you'll go faster in a Skoda if you have an extra lane to yourself.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.