Delaying warranty - good or bad idea?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17" Macbook Pro 2GB Ram 160GB hdd Anti-glare / hi-res screen 7200RPM hdd
Hello all,

I'm going to be getting a Macbook Pro in the next couple days, and my mom suggested waiting on the extended warranty to lower the initial cost. She said she'll get it for me for my Christmas or something.

Is this a bad idea, am I heading for trouble?

Thanks,
Jordan

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro. 16GB iPod Touch.
Well you get a year of warranty with the computer, so I would wait until that is a month or so away from expiring and then pull the trigger on apple care.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac's
No not a bad idea at all.

Mac's come with 1 year Warranty and 90 days of Phone support.

You can get the extended AppleCare warranty anytime before the 1 year ends. The benefit of getting the extended warranty soon is you get the phone support for the full 3 years, but if you're going to get the Extended warranty for Christmas (which is less the 3 months away), you won't miss out on even 1 day of having Phone support available.

Welcome to Mac-Forums and Congrats on the MBP!!!

Give your Mother a big hug, kiss her on the forehead, and say "I love you Mom, thank you so much, you are so good to me". Quit reading this and GO DO IT NOW!!!!! :D

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP 2.2Ghz C2D 4GB RAM 120GB HDD
For the first year of your MBP, the only difference if you don't get AppleCare when you first buy the product is phone support. W/O AppleCare you get 90 days telephone support and one year service support. With AppleCare, you get the additional 275 days of telephone support. If you'll get it free from your parents for Christmas, I'd wait until then.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac's
Here ya go..

acpp_barspro20061024.jpg

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Current iPhone and iPod owner, Future Mac Owner
I think the Apple Care coverage is good for three years from the date of purchase of the computer, not from when you purchase the coverage. So as long as you buy it within the warranty period, it doesn't really matter if you get it now or at Christmas.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.