Panther to Leopard ilife 05' ?

Reaction score
Hey guys,

Slightly weird question here. I very much like macs and am very happy with them, but am not exactly upgrade happy. Like I never upgraded to Tiger and probably would not be upgrading to Leopard, except my ipod nano 1st gen just crapped out and my razor phone as well. So, I would like an iphone to solve these problems. I have an ibook g4 1.2ghz 768 ram, so luckily, I seem to make the cut for leopard, I have no problem doing the probably necessary erase and install. I do not use most ilife apps, I only use garageband 2 and iphoto, everything else is deleted. My question is, is it conceivably possible to install leopard cleanly and then install ilife 05? I would like to either install the whole thing or preferably just extract garageband and iphoto.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
12" Apple PowerBook G4 (1.5GHz)
If you do a simple upgrade, you will not have to do anything to your applications. They will stay right where they are.

Same thing with an archive-and-install.

Why are you so eager to do an erase-and-install? I would only do that if you believe your disk is damaged, or if you're experiencing system problems and have already tried an archive-and-install.

OP
J
Reaction score
Mostly because, it's faster and It will be 100 percent leopard, there won't be any bugs, troubleshooting I guess. Alot of panther users had bugs upgrading to tiger. So back to the question, does anyone know?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook
Mostly because, it's faster and It will be 100 percent leopard, there won't be any bugs, troubleshooting I guess. Alot of panther users had bugs upgrading to tiger. So back to the question, does anyone know?
You won't have to worry about "upgrade bugs". The OS would still be 100% Leopard with an upgrade since the older bits are overwritten with the new ones during an upgrade.
I never had any problems doing the upgrade from Panther to Tiger, no do I recall hearing any tales of woe for that matter.
The whole "faster" bit is subjective as well.
As far as installing iLife 05 after a full erase, reformat and install you probably won't see any issues.
Of course, nobody will be able to give you a 100% accurate answer until Leopard is released. You will only get opinions and suggestions based on how things have gone in the past until Leopard hits the shelves and people start upgrading to it. So your best bet is to wait a couple more weeks and see if anyone encounters the same situation.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Ibook G4 12in 1gig RAM + 24in Imac 2.16 2.5 gig RAM Leopard
on such an ibook is leopard going to slow down the system or is it a worthwhile upgrade? (i have an ibook g4 1.33 with a gig of ram).

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook: 2.16 CPU/2GB RAM
Depending on what you do, i think 2 gigs of ram will really help but make sure you get it for a good price because otherwise its not worth it and may end up buying a new if its two high. You got to make sure that RAM will work on a iBook because the newer ones with Intel are more compatible with ram because of the processor. But they do make Ram essentially for mac, just got to look hard *cough* newegg.com *cough*

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.