What was it like when you got your new Mac?

Reaction score
As a pending iMac buyer, I have a question for those who switched from whatever variant of Windows they were using to OS X. What was it like when you first booted up your brand-new, sparkling Mac computer (be it an iMac, Mac Pro, or PowerBook), given that you had your very own Mac and weren't fiddling around with a Mac on display at a store? Did it feel daunting or exciting? Feel free to share your first-time (and subsequent) experiences here ...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac Core i5(3.6 GHz) 8 GB RAM, MBP C2Duo(2.4 GHz) 4 GB RAM, MB C2Duo(2.4 GHz) 2 GB RAM
Ahhh, it was a glorious feeling. I felt free from the chains of my torturous windows bondage. Everything worked flawlessly and i was up and running on my home network in minutes (as opposed to windows which took FOREVER) ahh, I will never turn back to windows. Ever.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Gateway2000 P5-60. 66Mhz and 128 MB RAM.
New mac? never had a new one. However my second hand mac was great both great and alien when I first booted it up

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.16GHz C2D MacBook w/ 2GB RAM & 120GB HD. HTC Droid Incredible.
I was pretty excited. I am with all the new things I buy. I was amazed at the fast boot up time. I never really left Windows because I hated it. I only left it because I wanted to try something new. :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 20" | 2.0Ghz Intel Core Duo 2 | 1GB Ram | 250GB HDD | ATi Radeon HD2400XT 128MB Video
I was really excited when I got my iMac C2D home last month. I was thrilled just putting in my name and taking my account picture with the iSight Cam.

Much better than windows - I love the boot up time!!
Non-full screen World of Warcraft is handy too to be able to have Thottbot open and be able to control iTunes :) without "Alt-Tabbing" back to desktop.

Friend of mine liked mine so much - he only used it for 2 minutes - he bought a iMac C2D in the 2.4ghz 20" last weekend!

Reaction score
Before receiving my first Mac, which happened to be a new MacBook, I was so used to PCs that it was so exciting booting in to a brand new OS..If you aren't experienced with OS X, you will be in for a cool experience when you first boot it up.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" white 2.16Ghz, 2Gb ram, 120gb hd
before getting my mac, i spent 3 months researching, reading, and reading everything on Mac's... to surmise it all into one word, "WOW"

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" MBP, 2.26GHz, 8gb RAM
Well it took me ages to get the network set up (PC problem) but could never get Airport to work for me. Ended up threading an ethernet cable through the whole house. Then we moved and the network got completely screwed up again (what is with PCs and not being able to move house and keep a network!?) which I eventually fixed... and I decided to give Airport a go again and bam! It just... worked. Odd, but I couldn't complain.

First booting up my Mac... everyone was crowding around watching, waiting. And waiting. And waiting. Initial startup was very slow! Once it was up and running, best experience of my life. Took me a couple of weeks to get used to it but once I was it was pure bliss.

Reaction score
I started Apple computers with my macbook just a month ago. First experience... WOW!! Amazing laptop! Its a real LAPTOP! Not the junk you get from HP/Compaq that is gigantic where its a desktop. Awesome design. Now if you've never used a mac before, here is where its gets tricky, you have to learn how to use a mac. Which took me about 3 days to learn how to use it. Over all, I don't look back at windows anymore, except for when I am at work. I am planning to purchase a 24" iMac sometime next year. =D

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.3GHz dual-core Intel Core i5 4GB 1333MHz 320GB / 60G iPod Touch
I was just happy and couldn't wait to start trying it out ^^

Best computer I've had (so far)...

Reaction score
Given that I waited 27 years to get a Mac it was a special day. My first computer was an Apple IIe in 1980 and then I was stuck in the Windows world till last month.

The first best thing was having it ready to go right when I connected it. No drivers to worry about, I could get going right away. My last PC was a Compaq laptop running Vista. :Angry:

I've had it just over 1 month, and feel quite comfortable with it now. In fact, I still use Windows at work, and I am constantly going to the left upper side of the Window to close or pressing Command Q.

Also. the help provided by this community as well as on the Apple Discussions board has been great.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac: 5K 27” (2020), 3.3 GHz, 32Gb RAM. iPad2, iPad mini4, iPhone 13 Mini, Apple Watch SE
Before opening it, I put the box on the table and stared at that for ten full minutes. Yep! even the glorious box got my juices running. Nearly a month later and it still just gets better and better!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
imac 20" 2GHz Intel 2GB RAM, iPod Classic 80Gb, iPhone
I recently bought my 1st mac, an intel imac & I was just amazed that less than half an hour after I picked it up from the store I had it up & running on my desk.

So simple to set up (if you can call it a set up) so simple to use & great to live with.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
24" iMac 2.8GHz 2GB RAM 500GB internal HDD + 1 TB Formac XTR External HDD - iPhone 3G 16 GB Black
It was awesome ! let me just tell u this :
I switched after 13 years of being MS OS user.
Switched my iMac on,
Transfered all my data from my PC Laptop
Haven't touched the laptop in 3 weeks :D that should explain enough I think

I'm loving it

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook - 2.4 ghz intel core duo / 4 gig of ram.
as soon as I unboxed it I was excited and anxious. The first time I turned it on it found my wireless network straight away and conncected with no problems whatsoever, from that moment on I thought "hey, i'm gonna be ok here", I haven't looked back.

Reaction score
I got my MacBook Pro at BestBuy. As I was walking out, there was a man and woman walking into the store and well.....all the woman could do was stare at my nice shiney big black

Macbook Pro box. Yeah it was pretty hot. It was about the middle of July and I had to get it home. It was Sunday and I had all that night and all the next day to play with my new Laptop.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" Macbook 2.16 GHz Intel Core2Duo 2GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM OS X 10.4.11 120GB Intel GMA 950 (2007)
I got my Macbook yesterday and couldn't be more satisfied with what I bought. The switch from Windows is profound, like having a blindfold taken off. Ease of use and a clean, smooth interface are a breath of fresh air; connected to the internet out-of-the-box. I couldn't run out of positive things to say about this machine.

I must add that I'm grateful to have found these forums. It's a great comfort to know that there's an entire community of helpful people should I run into problems or have questions. (Yes, I deleted Textedit on my first day...)

To those considering the switch, I say go for it, you won't regret it!

Robert

Reaction score
It was AWESOME! Taking it out of the box is one of those things you don't forget. Oh man, such a breeze to use too! The registration screen you get when you first turn on the machine is actually an enjoyable process! Gotta love the spinning square thing haha...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacPro 2.66
I got a mac pro a couple weeks ago. Hooked to the network first try. The OS is different then MS in a good way. No problem to figure anything out. I use mine at home for photography mostly. It is smok'in fast.

My wife jumped on with no research or reading and is doing fine. I showed her a couple key differences and off she went. If you get finder (which is easy) you are 90% there.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook, 2.0ghz C2D, 120gb hdd, 1gb RAM
my very first mac? or each one? When I got my first Mac, and ibook g3, nearly a year ago I was pretty impressed that such an old machine could run a fairly new OS. When I got my iBook g4 a few months later I fell in love with OS 10.4 and was very happy. Then when I got my Macbook black almost two weeks ago I finally swore off all PCs. I just need a desktop now.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.