Need Major Help With Dual Screen Problem ASAP!!!

Reaction score
ok here is the deal. I have a 20" iMac desktop core 2 duo, but not the newest with the black frame ect ect. I am running a mini-dvi to regular-dvi converter from the back of my mac, then from there i am running a dvi to hdmi cable to my full hi-def lcd tv. The problem i am having is the quality on the lcd tv is pure crap. Its running hi-def since its going from dvi to hdmi so it shouldnt look like im watching standard cable off a coaxil cable(qualitywise).
My major hobby is professtional digital photography and my full rez 10mp pictures look like a picture that was taken with the first digital camera ever:Grimmace: :Grimmace: and i dont get why it looks so terrible.

Does anyone have any idea how i can get better quality out of this?

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
Sounds like your iMac isn't feeding the LCD TV at the correct screen resolution. LCD displays have what is known as a "native" resolution, and if they're not set correctly, it will appear fuzzy. I would experiment with different screen resolutions using the Display applet in System Preferences.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 17" Intel Core Duo, 2 GB RAM + 20" ACD
LCDs have physical pixels, so "non-native" resolution (where resolution does not equal actual resolution) looks blurry because it has to stretch the pixels and blur them together. The native resolution is the highest one because the pixels can be blurred together, but not shrunk.

So yeah, try the highest possible resolution for the TV in Sys Prefs. :p

OP
K
Reaction score
the 2nd to highest looks a lot better the highest resolution for the LCD TV via the macs display options is 1920x1080 and im running 1600x900 now. and they both have (interlaced) in () next to both of them.

Reaction score
i agree with the native resolution. you should really find out what the higest resolution you can run on your lcd tv is. running too high a resolution can risk damage of the monitor.

i.e. if the natural resolution is 1366x768, running anything higher can damage the tv.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.