• The Mac-Forums Community Guidelines (linked at the top of every forum) are very clear, we respect US law and court precedence when it comes to legality of activity.

Therefore to clarify:
    • You may not discuss breaking DVD or BluRay encryption, copying, or "ripping" commercial, copy-protected DVDs.
    • This includes DVDs or BluRays you own. Even if you own the DVD or BluRay, it is still technically illegal under the DMCA to break the encryption. While some may argue otherwise, until the law is rewritten or the US Supreme Court strikes it down, we will adhere to the current intent of the law.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying unprotected movies or homemade DVDs.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying tools in the context that they are used for legal purposes as outlined in this post.

A bit of a big problem with my Macbook

Reaction score
Hey everyone, i've converted from Windows to MAC (yay) and im new to the Forum so i'll say Hi..... HI!

I just bought a macbook a week ago...

Just some problems now, right, is there any Video drivers to upgrade on Mac's, i got the Macbook and as you know it has the 945G Chipset onboard graphics, but there anyway of updating the drivers?

So is the reason, when i first got it, fresh i uploaded some MP4 video's and created a dvd with iDVD, i chose the sunflower theme and it worked wicked the playback was awesome in the theme and everyting cool. Now lately, when i tried to do another one, it was SLOW. The frames were at like 2Frames per Second and so on. I took XP off as i had bootcamp, still nothing. Ive tried researching about drivers for graphics on board but nothing. I formatted the whole mac and re installed OSX and still, i just tried it now still and it was so slowww... Yet first couple of days , worked flawlessly with no problems previewing video was no biggie. Anyone know what could be the problem ?

Anything would help :(

Mike:|

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" 2014 MacBook Pro, i7 2.5Ghz, 16GB RAM, 512GB SSD; iPad 3, iPhone 6
There should be no need to do this, and I have not heard of drivers being updated by anyone except Apple. The fact that this worked, then stopped is odd.

Is there anything different from the 1st and 2nd movie you made? Do normal DVDs play ok, and normal h.264 movies play ok?

It could be a harware fault, but I have never heard of one that specifically affects movie frame rates before.

OP
O
Reaction score
Hey, Thanks for reply

At first, in preview in iDVD it worked GREAT! The video played back properly, video plays back okay though, except some have REALLY low framerates, dvd especially just plays so slow.

Yet worked fine at first

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Hey, Thanks for reply

At first, in preview in iDVD it worked GREAT! The video played back properly, video plays back okay though, except some have REALLY low framerates, dvd especially just plays so slow.

Sorry, I am trying to make sense of this, but it doesn't make sense. Maybe I am being stupid but... the sentence above doesn't make it clear what works and what doesn't

- It worked fine in iDVD
- Video played back properly
- Video played ok
- Really slow frame rates
- DVD plays slow

Are you encoding to MPEG2 (DVD) or h.264 (Quicktime) or MPEG4?

Is it slow in iMovie, iDVD, QT or all of the above?

Are you talking about the playback or the encoding? The encoding to MPEG4/h.264 will be slow, not real time.

OP
O
Reaction score
Hey

In iDVD, when choosing a frame/Theme to put as the DVD Cover, you can add and drag movies and pictures and sound. When i add Movies into the movie bit, then click preview, it plays so SLOW and hangs the laptop so much that it will take like at least a minute to quit iDVD. When i first got the laptop, i made a dvd, created the theme/frame, previewed it and it played with no problems, smooth frames within the theme and nothing wrong. Now its not playing properly.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
And you say you have re-installed Tiger from Scratch and it still does this?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 MBP, i7, 16GB RAM, MBP 2.16Ghz Core Duo, 2GB ram, Dual 867Mhz MDD, 1.75GB ram, ATI 9800 Pro vid
Mike, you have to clearly state what is occuring. From the sounds of it, you are saying iDVD is not playing back content well in the preview mode. That means nothing without knowing what type of content you are placing into iDVD and if you have let it render it to MP2.

So, layout out the issue like you are talking to a 4 year old.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro M1 • iPhone 14 Pro • iPad Pro • iMac Retina 27"
A quick question: how much memory do you have in your MacBook? If you have 1 GB or less, that could contribute to the problem.

OP
O
Reaction score
lol, right like a 4 Year Old

I Trrying to create a Movie in iDVD. I import a MP4 movie onto a frame. Open up Magic DVD, choose the sunflower Frame, put the mp4 video onto the frame in the drag point, and when i click preview, it renders SO slowly, at first when i first got the Macbook, it played back properly. The resolution of the mp4 is 640/480 resolution 1 minute clip.

But now , after a erase and copy restore, it still doesn't playback properly, it plays back at like 2-3 FPS

:(

2.16Ghz C2D, 1GB Ram

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 MBP, i7, 16GB RAM, MBP 2.16Ghz Core Duo, 2GB ram, Dual 867Mhz MDD, 1.75GB ram, ATI 9800 Pro vid
I think I have replicated what you are seeing. The problem is with preview. What I am seeing is the first window with the flowers moving around is jerky. When I click on the 'Movies' menu item in that window a flower comes up in the middle of the called screen and the action is less jerky with the flower staying in the middle. When I click on the movie it plays fine for me.

First click the 'Create Project' button if you havn't already. That will save your project and let you move forward.

Now go to the File menu and choose either "Burn DVD..." or "Save as Disc Image...". The finished product will be fine.

If you save as a disc image, you should be able to open it via DVD Player.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.